Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Speedometer???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer???

1995 TA convertible. Speedometer dead on cold start up. After about 25-30 miles it will start to work again after I have come to a complete stop. Some days it does not work at all. Sometimes the needle jumps around and then finally dies. I have changed out the sensor on the back of the tranny. Also no problems with the automatic tranny shifting through the gears. any ideas?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

it probably has a loose connection at the dash
Old 03-21-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

dang 25-30 miles? So if your going right down the road it wont work? You have to drive 30 miles just to get it to work?

JJ im thinking you meant minutes. Take your gauges apart. When my tach stopped working, the prong had just come out of the receptor. I literally popped it back in and never had the problem again. So simple and when you take them apart youll see what i mean. The motor that moves the needle is on a square base. On each corner of the base there a little prong that stick straight out and is pretty good sized. It clicks into the plastic base of the guages assembly. For whatever reason, they pop out sometimes. Hope this is it for you, i hope itds as easy as that