Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Problems with '97 'Bird after engine swap..

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with '97 'Bird after engine swap..

First, let me say: long time, no see!!...it's been quite a while since i have been on here as a regular and I apologize for that but life has taken me in other directions lately

Now, the question:

I recently purchased a '97 'Bird with a 3800/AT combo, I blew the motor shortly after buying it (spit a wrist pin at idle....) so I had the motor swapped for a 3800 out of an '02 Camaro. I picked the car up yesterday and everything seemed fine for the first 20 or so miles and now some problems are creeping up. First the dash seems to be doing some screwy things such as reseting randomly while driving (the needles sweep and the trip odo resets. the car has stalled on me a couple of times and as of right now it will not start (it'll crank though).

The no-start issue started this morning when i went out to go to my mothers for mothers day...I started the car, let it idle for about ten min while i went inside to collect my wife and son and as we were walking out the door it surged and stalled, i tried restarting it and it will not start. I have checked all fuses and relays and all seem good, I checked the voltage to the fuel pump and it's sitting at 5.6v( ?!?!?). Also, the dash seems to be a little weird in that the temp gauge is stuck at 260, the battery light does not come on, and the low-trac and brake lights blink rapidly while cranking

Anybody got any ideas???

TIA
Al
Old 05-10-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

c'mon....anyone ???, this is my DD and I really need to get this issue solved
Old 05-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Sounds like a possible ground wire problem. I would check there first. Check the connection on the battery as well.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

I checked all the grounds and every connection i could find, everything seems tight and good. the plugs on the pcm seem tight and as far as i can tell everything looks right. I spoke to the mechanic that did the work and he is stumped (he's a fantastic mechanic...very well thought of and came highly recommended by many)
Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

well, two vacuum hoses reconnected and a VATS relearn later and it seems to be running fine....it started up really rough and took awhile to smooth out but it seems fine now

Quick Reply: Problems with '97 'Bird after engine swap..