Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Lost my TA keys....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lost my TA keys....

The car is in my signature. I'm sure this has happened to someone else. Do you guys know where to get a new key made? Can I just get the VIN and send it to a local GM dealer? I know there is some type of chip/metal piece in it that I have to have to start the car. I have my key less entry so I can get in the car, but I need a new key. I am sure this is going to be some kind of $200 key to get made, but I really don't have a choice if mine don't turn up.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Bronx Bull
It's not necessary to pay for a new ignition/resistor bypass or anything similar. Go to the dealership, give them your VIN number and proof of ownership, and they can look up which of the 15 or so resistors belongs in the key. Then you will have your key made, simple as that.

I'm sure the prices vary at Chevy dealerships around the country, but I can tell you that the going rate for both the door and ignition key was $28.00 at DeNooyer Chevrolet - this being less than a month ago.
Originally Posted by camaro981289
i paid the freaking money...i got the freaking key! And i was planning on buying it from the dealer anyway lol i was just a little scared that maybe the previous owners might of changed the ignition cylinder. It really wasnt about who was cheapest i just didnt want to buy a key from GM and find out that it didnt work and have to pay a locksmith to change out the cylinder and for another key. But the first guy i talked to was charging me 30 sumthin for the key and 20 for the Security code retrieval. the guy i talked to the second time charged me 23.95 for the key and 19.71 for the code...came out to 47 bucks with tax...the first guy was going to charge me 63. So i saved 15 bucks. I also asked him if they could give me the code incase next time i needed it and he said that he couldnt because he would get in trouble and that it was illegal...but he said now its saved on the system and that next time i went in they would only charge me for the key. Im just glad i got that resolved! So 98PurpleT/A...feel free to call your parts guy and call him a retard now lol.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Thanks called a dealership today and they quoted me $35.00. Sounds reasonable, but if anyone knows of a cheaper place in DFW let me know.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

paid 50$ for mine from the stealership, just bring your registration

Quick Reply: Lost my TA keys....