Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Obd issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obd issue

I own a 96 Firebird (V6) and have decided to swap a LT1, complete w/ ECM and tranny from a 93 Bird into her. Everything has plugged/bolted in nicely *including the relay harness* (and i'd be more than willing to offer anybody help with that aspect of things if I can). However I need some help with the difference in OBD between the two systems. Obviously the 96 is a standard OBD2 and has the appropriate connector... and the 93 ECM is OBD1. I want to make sure I'll be able to read diagnostic/engine codes from the car when everything's put back together. I have the interior/dash harness and the OBD1 connector, but if the system will work without me having to tear the interior of the car apart then i'll save it for someone else to use. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

I doubt it; my research has determined that you would need the entirety of the obd1 for the swap, if you would like to use it. From what i found, is the ECU is different as well, and will send different electrical signals. Since the technologies are different, from a programmer's perspective, the OBD2 probably will not be able to interpret the signals and thus will be useless.

Last edited by Rhin; 07-16-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Grammatics
Old 07-16-2010, 02:26 PM

so you're saying I will have to completely change the dash/interior harness? The ECU that's currently in the car is OBD1 it's just the car was originally OBD2 and still has that connector in it. Is it possible for me to splice in the obd1 connector and make it work that way?
Old 07-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

I do not think so. I believe the OBD2 requires more wiring than OBD1. So a simple splice may be out of the picture. It may be possible to jury rig an OBD1 connector in, but that might be more trouble than pulling the dash.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:20 PM

Well you're right about the OBD2 having more wires- I just went outside & compared the two, there's about 2/3 extra wires on the OBD2. I'm checking a few more places for information, but ultimately i'm going to wait until the LT1 comes from the machine shop- that will be the ultimate test. If I plug a scanner in & it can't read the sys. then I know i'm screwed. I appreciate your help.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Not a problem. This is just information that was relayed to me when i was debating on putting an LS series engine into my 95 before the 98 was totaled. Would hate to see that info go to waste...

Edit: Be sure to post either way, that way other can know for sure.

Quick Reply: Obd issue