Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Trans Am Fuel Pump Line

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Am Fuel Pump Line

Was not sure what section to ask these questions, So feel free to move if I am wrong. Went out tonight to get 2001 T/A out and when I started it up it caught fire under the car close to driver side rear tire. After a slight panic attack and a badly burnt hand I was able to put it out with a fire ex. upon inspection it looks like I hade fuel leak on the plastic lines coming from the top of the tank. I have never smelled fuel or seen any sign of a leak. As far as damage is concerned it looks like it burned the wiring that goes to the fuel tank,lines and shock cover. I have only owned the car for a little over 2 months, I just got the car back from being painted and just installed new wheels. I was thinking about cutting the access hole to be able to get to the lines so i don't have to drop the tank, I was wondering about the wiring and the type of fuel line that I need to use? Can you buy the whole harness and the factory lines? Any suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh my are you ok? That had to be scary! My '00 'bird caught fire in my garage back in 2006, and that's something I never want to relive. My fire was in the engine bay though.

It sounds as if you had a fuel leak and a bare wire that sparked to ignite the fuel. Have you checked to see if there was already an access hole cut by a previous owner? If so there might have been a shotty fuel pump install done before you bought the car. If there isn't an access hole, I wouldn't advise cutting one. If you undo the shocks at the bottom you can lower the rear end enough to drop the tank out . That's what I did on my '95 'bird, and it was a steel tank. Your car should have a plastic tank. GM sells replacement sections of wiring for different applications...maybe they offer the fuel pump wiring.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have full coverage insurance?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire

No full coverage.... Wish I did.. Went out and jacked up the car.. Looks like it started where the fuel lines connect to the steel lines. Looks like it melted the wires and the plastic fuel lines. Burnt the shock cover up.

when my hand heals up some I will drop the tank and make the repairs. What website could I find the part number for the factory lines and wiring harness.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by soukie
What website could I find the part number for the factory lines and wiring harness.
Site sponsor Scoggin-Dickey----------------->
Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I was in your position, I would actually drop the tank to inspect that there is no hidden damage.

Sure, it's a pain, but I feel it's the wiser decision to make over cutting a hole in a perfect car.

Sorry for your misfourtune, and glad to hear that you are ok!

Quick Reply: Trans Am Fuel Pump Line