Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

intermittent light problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default intermittent light problem

On my '98 TA I have a bit of a problem with the left side running/turn signal. I've done alot of reading on here but haven't found the exact same problem yet though I'm sure it's on here somewhere. The issue I'm having is sometimes the left running light is on and the turn signal works. then sometimes when I go to use the left turn signal it doesn't blink then I noticed the running light doesn't work either. Then sometimes it will start working fine again and then the same problem occurs again. I have replaced the bulb and sockets already. The right side always works properly and seems unaffected. Would this be the switch, hazard flasher, or turn signal flasher?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long ago did you replace the socket and bulb? I had the same prob with mine. Left side also. The turn signal arrow in the dash would just stay on and not flash. My socket was so corudded I wasnt suprised is wasnt working. Pull your bulb and socket back out and clean the socket if its dirty and look at the tabs on the inside also. One of the tabs could have got bent somehow and is causing it to go off and on. Mine was like that and I just bent it back in place.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Both are brand new, was having the problem so replaced them and having the same problem?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:21 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Turn signal switch in the steering column?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Teching In

New update. This morning I decided I was going to replace the turn signal flasher for ***** and giggles since it's cheaper and easier than the switch so figured I'd start there. So took the panel off below the steering wheel. Turned the key and turned the right turn signal on to make sure I find the correct flasher...Nothing happened. I didn't have running lights, no left turn signal, no right turn signal. So then I decided I'd try the hazards, at least this time the arrows on the dash would flash and the the flasher was working and the rear lights were flashing. Does this narrow my problem down to something? I'm not sure how the schematic is but if the hazards go through the turn signal flasher to turn the lights on and off I'm leaning towards the fact that then it would be the turn signal flasher?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You might just have a loose connection on the driver's-side DRL somewhere in the wiring.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Happens to mine all the time, I have new sockets also and new bulbs, they just do connect very good I guess, I get under and wiggle the light untill it works then I don't have a problem for a few thousand miles

Quick Reply: intermittent light problem