Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1997 Trans Am Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Trans Am Convertible

Hey guys new to the forum! I own a 95 Firehawk and love it! Anyway, I'm looking at a Silver w blk top 97 TA as a daily driver and have a few questions.

It has a 100k miles on it and seems to run well. I'm just curious, does the ABS light generally mean something serious or could it just be a trivial thing like a sensor or fuse? Also the check engine light is one. I know could just be something stupid. It is owned by an older lady and she wants to sell. Also, I could smell a little bit of gas in the rear but didn't see where or if it was leaking. Any thoughts on any of it or anything else I should look for?? Where would you want to be price wise on something like this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

It is imperative to find out what is wrong. Take it to a shop or even the dealership and pay them $50 to see exactly what the deal is with all the lights being on. Why guess? A good condition 'private party' price is in the $5,000 area for a '97 T/A with that mileage. If you were to buy it 'as is' and 'keeping your fingers crossed', I wouldn't pay more than trade-in value which is about $3,500 for a fair condition car. That is all it is worth with unknown mechanical issues, no matter how small. Be careful!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:25 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with NC01TA, have the car looked over before making any deals. You don't want to purchase a car only to deal with a bunch of mechanical gremlins right off the bat!

By the way I see that this is your first post. Welcome to LS1tech!
Old 04-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I think I'm going to pass on it. It is a great looking car but just felt so so compared to my other one. I can't use mine as a benchmark because they won't all be that nice but it sure feels good when they are close! A WS6 would be sweet right about now!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 96 TA convertible with 124k miles that I USED to use as a DD. Note I said USED TO because it was a headache. Opti, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, water pump, radiator, battery terminal connectors, master cylinder, and now trans has lead me to make it a "weekend cruiser" rather than a reliable 40 mile round trip daily. My second LT1 to go ape **** when it found out I wanted to drive it everyday lol They are awesome cars, but they like their rest.

Quick Reply: 1997 Trans Am Convertible