Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

cooling system and idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling system and idle problems

I have a 1999 v6 Firebird and my car was overheating. I changed the thermostat and water pump already, but its still too warm running at about 3/4 of the temp gauge and now the car runs and idles a bit rough. After i drove it i looked for leaks or anything and i noticed the engine coolant reservoir is over flowing shooting all over that corner of the engine bay getting all over the battery and inside the wheel well. I'm thinking maybe its boiling water because the coolant water ratio is off?
Can anybody tell me whats wrong or give me stuff to inspect or check out? thanks in advance!

p.s. the guy who had it before me changed coolant to green stuff so i'm going to be putting the DEX COOL back in soon
Old 05-17-2011, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem from my lt1 however, it turned out to be a stuck thermostat. When it got stuck it pushed water back out through the reservoir tank. I may be wrong on this but Ive ran straight up water before in an engine as coolant and it worked fine (kind of a had to situation) so I dont believe thats your problem. I would check for obstructions in your hoses and recheck your thermostat and water pump one more time.