Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Clogged catalytic converter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clogged catalytic converter?

I have a 95 firebird and have owned it since 2001 and have noticed something about the car. I have a borla exhaust with the open plate on the car and have had that on for many many years and know the sound of the car and starting about 4 days ago I noticed that the car was literally getting quieter and quieter. Today driving to work the car seemed to have no power and the drive home it felt worse. I just ran to the mall quick and when I got home the car was dead quiet and was having a hard time running through the rpm's. The car has 100,000 miles on it now.... could the cat be clogged that bad that it would quiet the car like that and make it run bad? That is my only guess. I was gonna unbolt the exhaust from the cat and gut it and see how it is then.

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clogged cat would be my first guess. Hit it a few times and see if you hear anything rattling around in there. If you do it's coming apart internally.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

OK thanks ill try that sunday on my day off and see what it does. Its crazy how quiet the car is, you can literally barely hear it running when your behind it. Also when you rev it up around 2500-3000 rpm bit there is a "whistling" sound coming from where the cat is on the car.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Update, The cat was clogged bad!! I unbolted the exhaust took a long pry bar and gutted the cat re installed the exhaust and the car is like brand new! I wonder how long it has been like this? Luckily it was a easy fix and everything is back to normal.

Quick Reply: Clogged catalytic converter?