Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Dead in the water. (Electrical Issue) ((Maybe))

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 04:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead in the water. (Electrical Issue) ((Maybe))

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
6-Speed

I've got my work cut out for this one. haha... Anyways heres the new issue. put the key in turn it to run. Radio, Windows, Heater, Lights all work like normal.

however none of the dash lights light up, or work. turn the key to start. nothing happens engine doesn't turn over. no sound from the fuel pump. nothing.

Except when I turn the key from run to start the car will make 2 dings and the seatbelt warning light will flash accordingly. then repeat that and the car will make 3 dings and same from the seatbelt light. and it will just go back and forth between 2 flashes/dings and then 3flashes/dings I'm assuming its some sort of a diagnostic code but,

I've look everywhere online for anything close and they all mention the security light in the dash which doesn't happen all of the lights don't work or turn on except the seatbelt light an that one only after I turn the key from run to start.a

I checked the fuses all of them are good. when the car is in run half of both fuse boxes are not getting any power, including injectors, starter, basically anything required to make the car run. I also looked at the BCM board for cracks in the solder and it all looked good. any ideas or help will be appreciated. thank you.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Drop the panel under the column and see if some one put a alarm in it and did a ignition kill instead of starter kill.

Split the harness coming out of the ignition switch and check to see if the large pink wire has 12 plus volts with the key in the on position. If it doesn't the ignition switch died.

Quick Reply: Dead in the water. (Electrical Issue) ((Maybe))