3rd Gen VATS

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 3rd Gen VATS

89 bird VATS issue

Hey all,
My uncle has a 89 bird that I'm trying to get running for him. The problem. I think is in the VATS, the car won't always start when it does you can't shut it off or it won't let you start it for approx 30min. He said him and a friend found a broken wire that they think went to the VATS, I haven't found the wire yet but I did ind a key that they tapped to the column. Can someone give me the knowledge to figure this out please. Maybe some troubleshooting tips. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there any way to completely bypass the VATS and just be don't with it?
Old 06-07-2015, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000dreambird
89 bird VATS issue

Hey all,
My uncle has a 89 bird that I'm trying to get running for him. The problem. I think is in the VATS, the car won't always start when it does you can't shut it off or it won't let you start it for approx 30min. He said him and a friend found a broken wire that they think went to the VATS, I haven't found the wire yet but I did ind a key that they tapped to the column. Can someone give me the knowledge to figure this out please. Maybe some troubleshooting tips. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there any way to completely bypass the VATS and just be don't with it?
Resurrection, but might help someone.. lol

I have actually bypassed my vats by cutting the two white wires in the orange cover and putting a wire to each side of the key. Having problems now with my gauges. Sounds like that's what they have done also.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

The "chip" in the key is just a resistor ohm it to get the resistance then get a resistor with that resistance and use it to conect the two vats wires and you will be good to go.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 PM

Would have but local radio shack shut down and couldn't wait for resistors to arrive. Quick temp fix. Ran into other issues so haven't messed with it yet.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen VATS