Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Oil Consumption/burning LS1

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption/burning LS1

Recently my 01 WS6 has been burning a quart of oil every month or so. It has less than 3000 miles on the oil since the last oil change and the oil looks dirty. The car has 70k miles on the motor. Any ideas?
Also, I run 5w-30 redline full synthetic and temperatures never dip below 45 down here. Should i maybe consider a different brand of oil? I know GM recommends Mobil 1, but that is a little on the lighter side of 30w and doesn't have a strong base 4 or 5 oil.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I had less than half your miles and suffered the same oil consumption situation until I read about the PCV valve and hose situation here on LS1Tech . I replaced the valve and cleaned the hose and amazingly the oil consumption wasn't an issue anymore. I've had to repeat the process again but it certainly was worrisome at first. I usually use Mobil1 but also Castrol synthetic. It really doesn't seem to matter (10w30).
By the way, my oil looks rather dirty right now with about 2,500 miles since the last change. It never used to be that way, always golden from change to change.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Huh, I'll take a look into that because my oil is rather dirty also. So, my assumption is that it's just another characteristic if this car? Along with that rattling passenger seat? lol

I've never owned a car that made me happy and worried me at the same time.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM

I think the oil consumption is fairly common with the LS1s. My 01 WS6 burned oil from the time it was pretty new. I drove it from Orlando Florida to San Antonio Texas when it was about a year old and by the time I crossed the Texas state line, the low oil light came on! IIRC, the light comes on when they are about 2 qts. low. Usually it would use about a quart -quart and a half between 3k oil change intervals of dino oil. It also had piston slap really bad when cold started. Nevertheless, I drove that car extremely hard (but kept it stock) and it ran strong up to the day I traded it in 2006 with 68k miles on the clock. The 02 I have now doesn't have the piston slap nearly as bad and I haven't had it long enough to check the oil consumption... but I can tell you that I will be more surprised if it does not burn some oil.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:26 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LS1 are just noisy/oil burning freaks of nature. Replace the PCV, Look up the "Husky Catch Can" mod or buy a catch can from Mighty Mouse. Run good oil (Penzoil Ultra, German Castrol, Amsoil, Redline, LiquiMoly) and enjoy

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption/burning LS1