Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem

Can anyone help me I have a 2002 trans am and it will not start at times. The security light has not came on but I I bi passed it already. When I turn the key all my gauges go black and it does not crank but sometimes it will turn on and sometimes I have to sit there for 5 to 10 minutes..can someone please help me out
Old 10-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bone stock
When I turn the key all my gauges go black and it does not crank but sometimes it will turn on and sometimes I have to sit there for 5 to 10 minutes..can someone please help me out
When you say 'go black' do you mean as they dim out or they don't function? Do you hear any clicking noises when trying to start it? If so, your starting could be going bad.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

OK, here is one thing you can check, I had similar problem a couple a years ago.
Symptom: Randomly car dead (no click nothing) when turn ignition to run. Gauges goes “black”.
Waiting some minutes then everything works fine, this was experienced quite seldom but was very annoying when occur.

I narrowed down the problem to be a bad connection between fuse mark “START”(I think it is) and the fuse holder in the engine bay area. Don’t you cost anything to check up.

Good luck
Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go have your battery and/or alternator tested.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Not exactly sure this is the problem but I noticed a definite lag in starting the T/A recently. Had a 6 year long-life battery and was just shy of 4 years on it. I didn't think that was the problem as the car started perfectly once I drove it elsewhere, but there was that constant lag. I went to have the car checked out and the battery was not handling the load. It went bad despite the remaining years it was supposed to have. They pro-rated it and now I have a new AC/Delco 42 month battery. The car starts perfect again. By the way, 42 months is now the longest GM battery available. They did away with the 5 and 6 year varieties. If you like GM batteries, it was $129 retail. I got it for $109 plus the pro-rate refund on the old.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear, happy (inexpensive) endings are always nice to read about.

Quick Reply: Starting problem