Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

98 Firebird Ign.coil testing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 Firebird Ign.coil testing

Hi , Have a random misfire again,,a yr ago had 1 & the smog shop replaced a ign coil.Car runs alot worse than it did the first time too.What's the easiest way to test the coils? I have a distributorless v6 Thanks for your time !
Old 04-04-2014, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

is it throwing a check engine light for a misfire? if it is just replace the coil pack that corresponds to the misfiring cylinder. Personally once I confirmed a faulty coil pack after doing plugs and wires several months ago I went ahead and replaced all 3 coil packs, because if one has gone the others aren't far behind.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Teching In

thanks for replying, Giving me a P300 code & I'm just guessing it may be the coils because of the way it's running.Just don't feel like plugs or wires so wanted to start with testing coils first,also its easier for me to climb up on motor for that than crawling under for the plugs since my back is a bit messed up. Can only afford to 1 if it's needed since Ive been replacing alot of parts in it this past 6-7 months
Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

for a random misfire P0300 code there can be several causes, see here http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300

one guy on here just a week or 2 ago was having rough idle and it was a clogged catalytic converter causing it.

if you can confirm it as a coil pack, you can get the BWD brand from Advance Auto online and use promo code TRT30 to get 30% off which brings the 2 remaining to replace coil packs to under 50 bucks.

see this guide, it may help you diagnose the issue http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_38...ack_test_1.php
Old 04-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the help & info ! Hopefully I don't get side tracked again today & will be able to work on it today.I did find a plug wire off & wire to knock sensor off

Quick Reply: 98 Firebird Ign.coil testing