Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 TA panhard

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 TA panhard

Guys,
Just installed a new panhard from Spohn.. decided on the Delsphere ends at both ends.. It is knocking like crazy on any rough road surfaces.. Driving me crazy so put the old one back on.. silent.
Spohn said the delsphere ends hit on the P/h brackets during rotation particularly the passenger side one which is where the clonking is coming form. They told me to put a piece of rubber in there to shut it up..tried that didnt work!
I think it is the sleeves in the rod ends rattling on the factory hardware.. the bolts are not parallel but stepped... any other ideas and what to do?????
Old 04-16-2014, 07:21 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If I understand what you're saying, the Spohn PH bar, when correctly installed, hits other components of the suspension in use?

Their "fix" was for you to find a piece of rubber?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Yes sure was... I seem to be getting a knocking noise mainly from the passenger/chassis side . Its gotto be the P/H as no noise with the stock p/h
Got online with Spohn and said the delsphere end rotates fore/aft in the bracket and hits... so suggested make up a rubbe "isolater" to go between the rod end body and thep/h chassis bracket.. I made some rubber washhers in the end about 3/16's thick and still the knocking persists over rough road/speed humps etc.. I think its the hardware..shouldered/tapered bolt in a parallel rod end sleeve????
Old 04-16-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

FWIW, rod ends in general are known for being noisy and are not suggested for a daily driver, some panhard makers offer a version that is poly on that end and rod on the other because of this issue (you really only need one end to articulate).

should of just got the Founders Poly/Poly WAY cheaper and works just fine (they also have a Poly/Rod "off car" adjustable model)
Old 04-16-2014, 05:18 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
FWIW, rod ends in general are known for being noisy and are not suggested for a daily drive...
While I agree with that, the OP has Delsphere joints which in use are pretty quiet.

I think his issue is elsewhere.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Well I got so fed up with this I ordered a threaded poly bush from Spohn to go on the passenger end.. will see if that shuts it up!
But still dont get it why they make the hardware shouldered/tapered and the sleeeves in the bushes parallel... only reason I can see is that the only go in from one direction..?
Old 04-17-2014, 07:16 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Any further suspension purchases and I'd go with UMI or BMR.

Quick Reply: 2000 TA panhard