Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Radom squeal under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radom squeal under the hood

I have an 01 ws6 with the 6-speed. I usually have the a/c on but once I turn it off I get these random squeals from time to time at idle or even driving. I'm not sure if it's the belt or what any insight? Just bought the car a week ago.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

belt, belt tensioner slipping, idler pulley, belt tensioner pulley, alternator bearing, there are quite a few things, being you just got the car and unless you have documentation of the belt being replaced I would go ahead and do it regardless.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

I went through a belt squeal not to long ago. To narrow it down, when the squeal would start i would pop the hood and stat spraying different pulleys and tensioners with belt dressing or wd-40. By doing this i was able to narrow it down to the ac belt or ac tensioner pulley. Changed out the pulley and that didn't stop it so i changed out the belt and it fixed it. Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

It was just the belt for my car. Probably just age as the car only had 30k miles or so when I replaced it.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Finally found what the squeak is. Ac clutch is slightly moving while the ac is off I know that it shouldn't be engaged since the ac is off. The noise goes away once I turn the AC on. Could it be that the main bearing is going bad? Maybe oil leaking causing the clutch to slip while not engaged?

Quick Reply: Radom squeal under the hood