Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Electrical issue's any idea's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issue's any idea's?

Howdy all. I recently bought a 2000 TA WS6 with the Auto trans. Just have some minor issues with the car. I tried taking it to a do it yourself shop and they werent really able to help me other than inform me I had to reset something in the car. Maybe was the BCM. I am going to list some of the small issues I am having and hope maybe an SME can help me figure this stuff out. I like to believe this all is related somehow since its all pretty much electrical.

Also due to the many issue's I may take it into a shop as well.

Map lights on the rear view mirror stay on at all times. Only turn off maybe a couple minutes after car is off and all closed up. (does not dim at all like it should specially while in drive)

Alarm doesnt go off when activated. I will sit inside, activate alarm, unlock door manually and open door. (from what I know Alarm should go crazy)

Driver side power lock doesnt not open or close with remote OR lock switch inside (passanger side does) Possibly bad motor? If so anyone know the part number?

Trunk pops up with remote or from trunk switch inside but doesnt always release the hatch. (I have to keep pressing the remote botton while lifting the hatch)

Thanks for your time any idea's or suggestions (as long as they are not smart *** haha funny funnies) would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:53 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

I'd say you do have some electrical issues. The door locks may simply be a blown fuse.

The spring that pops up the hatch is weak and most of these cars need a helping hand to pull it open while pressing the remote button or turning the key.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Levitz
Map lights on the rear view mirror stay on at all times. Only turn off maybe a couple minutes after car is off and all closed up. (does not dim at all like it should specially while in drive)
Are you sure the switches on the rear view mirror for these lights is in the OFF position?
Old 08-04-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 859 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Are you sure the switches on the rear view mirror for these lights is in the OFF position?
This. Also make sure that the interior dimmer switch isn't turned ON.

You probably have a bad lock actuator since it doesn't do anything at all.

The rear hatch thing is pretty common. There's a mod on here somewhere and you add another spring to the factory spring to keep it from hanging up. My Firehawk does it, it's worse in the winter.

IMO you have more than one problem not just one thing causing all of them. Time to break out the DMM!

Quick Reply: Electrical issue's any idea's?