Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Turn Signal Problemo

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turn Signal Problemo

02 WS6: Came into work this morning and right signal decided not to work. I checked the front drl and it was on, which was a surprise to me. Will the signal stop blinking if a rear light is out? It was bright out and I could not tell if any rear lights are out but it does not appear so. I've read a few posts about solid signals and nothing seems to match exactly. Where should I start here, can't be a fuse can it? I would think they would all go out if that was the case. The left signal working fine.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Check the bulbs. Make sure they're good.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ForShowSoItsSlow
02 WS6: Came into work this morning and right signal decided not to work. I checked the front drl and it was on, which was a surprise to me. Will the signal stop blinking if a rear light is out? It was bright out and I could not tell if any rear lights are out but it does not appear so. I've read a few posts about solid signals and nothing seems to match exactly. Where should I start here, can't be a fuse can it? I would think they would all go out if that was the case. The left signal working fine.
Had the same problem on my 02 ws6. The yellow bulbs in the front are dual filament so the light can be on and blinker not working it the bulb is bad. But the bulb is probably fine. If you pull the bulb out and look in the connector you will most likely see a bunch of corrosion. Disconnect your battery. Get some electrical cleaner and spray it in and try to scrape some off. Then plug and unplug the bulb multiple times to ensure good contact and you should be good. If the back signal isn't working either there is a chance that the corrosion shorted out the flasher relay. Its a $5-10 fix. Just pull the panel under the steering wheel off and up on the right side by the center console there is a cylindrical relay plugged in. Just replace that and you should be good. Sorry for the long winded reply.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks jerid, I didn't have time to change the bulb when I got home but I'll try in the morning to see if it fixes her up. Had no idea about the dual filament.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Replaced the bulb, no luck. I'm going to try the relay next.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replaced the bulb, no luck. I'm going to try the relay next.
rear brake lights are dual filament as well and could cause the same issue. Check those guys too
Old 09-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Would it still be the relay if my left signal still works? Also I've noticed that on the non working right signal after I try to use it and pull the signal arm back down on the column, the drl/signal will briefly turn off. Getting weirder...
Old 09-06-2014, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would it still be the relay if my left signal still works? Also I've noticed that on the non working right signal after I try to use it and pull the signal arm back down on the column, the drl/signal will briefly turn off. Getting weirder...
I'm not sure on that one, I just remember switching my lights to LED and if there was not the proper electrical load from each light then it would get similar results you are describing.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Finally worked, I replaced the relay. Thanks for the help Jerid! Also the signal doesn't sound like an empty tin can now, bonus.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Problemo