Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go over to the other light and experiment. General rule of thumb is lefty loosey, righty tighty. So left should lower it.

My Pass motor's gear went wonky, and my attempt at the 180º fix failed. So I just have both my lights perm up for the time being
Old 09-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the fix on both lights at the same time, so it isn't quite that easy. The motors are identical, so both the passenger side and driver's side manual control **** should spin in the same direction.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:46 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

More good Firebird headlight info: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...40#post7764240
Old 09-15-2007, 02:07 AM
Teching In

Default Help with the head light

Hello everybody

I"m having problems with the driver side head light it's not lifting up (it isn't functional.) It is now 2a.m and I"m tired but I went to a 24 hour autozone and purchased a new motor since I heard that the ring might be worn out.

Anyways I plugged everything before putting the head light back in place. The lights turned on but!! I didn't hear anything from the motor . does anyone know what the problem might be. ...

everything works well with the passenger side but it's the driver side i'm having problems with ..
I have no Manual for my 2000 formula and I'm missing a lid for the fuse box in the engine compartment . near the head light that's broken .. Well any hlp will be greatful thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Hi,
well I had exactly the same problems like you.
Lamps are on both sides on, but only the passenger side wents up.
Everyone told me that it was the motor, so I oreder a new Motor from ebay. one week later it arrived in germany and i put the new headlight motor in. everything was inside. i turned the light on. than exactly the same. lamps on but only passenger side.
I thought that it was a joke. but I had a great Idea. I took 2 cables and connected these two wires with the (i think green and grey) cables of the passenger side and the driver side. now both motors get their power from the cable of the passenger side. and now it works great.
Next week in my holiday i will check where the cable on the driver side is broken and fix that.
but everything works fine now. never had any problems again.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Default Darn Headlights

Ok so my headlights are at two different heights. The left one is higher than the right. I popped the hood and turn the headlight motor so that they are even. I close them and pop them back up and they are back to uneven.

Without pictures they look something like this

__
----- __

(not that much though) But its noticeable so my left headlight appears a lot brighter than the right one.

Any suggestion on what to do?
Old 10-16-2007, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just spreading the word as I just found out about these. HELP (motormite, Dorman) makes a replacement plastic headlight gear for about 15 bucks. Autozone can order them, but it may take a few days to get them in. Part # 42400.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-b...tegory_list=:0

I hear that NAPA may carry them as well.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-16-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Little bit of a situation here. I hopped in my car today and it was a little overcast, so I thought lets rock the lights. Then I thought, no maybe not, not that dark yet, so I turned them off. After shutting off and closing completely, the driver's side is making the jack hammer noise.

Now, every time I either lock or unlock the car via key fob, the lights pop up completely on both sides, then drop down completely on both sides, and then the driver's side starts hammering away again. I haven't tried locking/unlocking from the controls on the doors yet, but don't think that will make a difference.

If the lights are going 100% up and down, are my gears still fine, it is just the motor that is bad? Or are both the motor and gear toast? I know a couple people had the same problem as me, but it looked like they each got to different conclusions as to the cause of it.

Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

My 99 T/A
Well -I've had my 99 now 5 years. My pass side gears went south. i replaced the motor with one from Checker. It was around 100
w/o core. Mine went smooth. The hardest part was wrestling the linkage onto the new motor. i had to hone out the hole on the linkage abot 2 milli. If after the whole assembly your light still don't go up down properly,try using the thumbwheel to raise it manually and then try using the on off switch. i had to try opening mine with the on off switch like 10 times and then they synchronized. I lubed my linkage with a light coat of Hitemp wheel bearing grease. All is great now.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black2kWS6
Little bit of a situation here. I hopped in my car today and it was a little overcast, so I thought lets rock the lights. Then I thought, no maybe not, not that dark yet, so I turned them off. After shutting off and closing completely, the driver's side is making the jack hammer noise.

Now, every time I either lock or unlock the car via key fob, the lights pop up completely on both sides, then drop down completely on both sides, and then the driver's side starts hammering away again. I haven't tried locking/unlocking from the controls on the doors yet, but don't think that will make a difference.

If the lights are going 100% up and down, are my gears still fine, it is just the motor that is bad? Or are both the motor and gear toast? I know a couple people had the same problem as me, but it looked like they each got to different conclusions as to the cause of it.

Sounds like the same problem everyone else has. You should just buy a new gear and replace it. Also make sure the motor doesn't wiggle. It needs to be mounted solidly to the plastic case.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep you have a stripped gear
Old 10-16-2007, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Son of bit....imagine that. The thing is, I'm going to be trading it in either tomorrow or Thursday on a 2002 Corvette Z06. The dealership has already driven it, taken pictures of it, all that jazz, I just don't need them to find out this little surprise while I'm still there signing paperwork.

She only has 40K miles on her, just figures it's my luck something goes wrong a couple days before trading it in. I think I'm just going to leave it, and hope they don't figure it out until after I'm gone. Thanks guys.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:16 AM
On The Tree

@black2kWS6:
you can also just turn the little plastic wheel in the headlight motor 180° than it will worjk again. I did this on mine and it works great.
Open your headlight manually and than remove the headlight arm.
Remember the position of the Headlightmotor and than turn again on the screw of the headlight motor which you used to pop up the headlight.

after the small scre where the arm was mouinted has turned 180° you can remount your headlight arm to this screw and pop it manually down.
After this it should work fine.

Sorry for my bad englisch
Old 10-17-2007, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Son of bit....imagine that. The thing is, I'm going to be trading it in either tomorrow or Thursday on a 2002 Corvette Z06. The dealership has already driven it, taken pictures of it, all that jazz, I just don't need them to find out this little surprise while I'm still there signing paperwork.

She only has 40K miles on her, just figures it's my luck something goes wrong a couple days before trading it in. I think I'm just going to leave it, and hope they don't figure it out until after I'm gone. Thanks guys.
If this is all during the day, then pull the headlight fuse out or replace it with a burned one. That will stop the funky remote issues.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Wtf is up with my headlights??

Alright my headlights are on crack... heres the deal. And this is totally random. Sometimes, I switch my headlights on, the lights come on, but they don't flip up.....maybe they are on for a minute, or ten minutes, and they all of the sudden pop up. Or I'll turn them off and then back on and they'll flip up. Or I'll turn them off and they wont flip down....so I turn them back on and off and they may or may not go down. They just do what they feel like...whenever they feel like it. I dont think it could be the motors...any idea's?? Thanks
Old 10-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Default headlight motor

Where does everyone get their headlight motors(4th gen) at?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

is it on both sides?
check the connections.
i had the same problem on the driver side.
i didnt find a broken wire, thats why i just connected the driver side window motor with the one from the passenger side. both work now great and i dont have any problems.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No it is on both sides, and they go up together as they should, just not when they should. Thinking relay?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spiers
Alright my headlights are on crack... heres the deal. And this is totally random. Sometimes, I switch my headlights on, the lights come on, but they don't flip up.....maybe they are on for a minute, or ten minutes, and they all of the sudden pop up. Or I'll turn them off and then back on and they'll flip up. Or I'll turn them off and they wont flip down....so I turn them back on and off and they may or may not go down. They just do what they feel like...whenever they feel like it. I dont think it could be the motors...any idea's?? Thanks
It may be the brain that controls them. It's a flat sided board snapped onto the side of the fuse boxes under the hood. If you can find a friend with a similar firebird you can swap his module into your car temporarily to see if that is the problem or not. Whole swap would take 1 minute or so.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Fix one thing, break another...

My driver's side headlights (both beams) are no longer lighting after rebuilding the headlight motor. The motor opens and closes, and I have wiggled the connector every way I can, but nothing. I haven't found a fuse that handles just the LH headlights (door yes, but lights no). Any insights?

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE