Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Steering column problems.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering column problems.

So I have a 2000 Pontiac trans am, and the steering column went bad and now I can't start my car. I thought it was the ignition switch but after tearing it down and looking closer this little arm on the left side isn't catching something is what it looks like. My buddy told me I was best off getting a new column. But my question is, is there a difference between 93-97 & 98-02 columns? I have someone that will sell me one. But we don't know if it will work because it's from a earlier model.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Ignition rack inside the column broke the parts are cheap but you need some special tools to change it and plan on installing a new ign lock cylinder to cya while you are inside it to save another expense and being stranded sometime down the road. Depending on your technical ability this is something above most people and need a shop to do it.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by dylanh92001
My buddy told me I was best off getting a new column.
This is what a dealer will tell you. The part is 99 cents, but the labor is hundreds. For someone gouging you on labor, (ie: a dealer) it's less expensive to buy a new column and install that, vs. disassemble and repair an existing one.

Originally Posted by dylanh92001
is there a difference between 93-97 & 98-02 columns?
I recall there are differences in the electronics/wires/accessories in the columns. If you got far enough to see the part that was broken in your existing column, you should be able to fix it.

Quick Reply: Steering column problems.