Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

header install problems!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header install problems!!!!

So as everyone has said not to go with eBay headers. Well i did go with eBay headers and a y pipe. headers are 1 5/8 primaries with 3in collectors. surprisingly no problems with the headers except that the egr and air provisions are not at all where they need to be but no big deal just delete that and made some block off plates good to go there were no other fitment issues other than that but the Y pipe on the other hand the issues never stop coming so the main issues number 1 is the y pipe would fit the headers but would not fit the rest of the muffler so i had to end up cutting the compression clamp off the original muffler to make the y pipe fit because it was to far back number 2 the y pipe when i tried to put the original muffler on the y pipe the y was to far over to the passenger side so i had to force the y pipe to the driver side and then when all was said and done i actually finished this project on a sunday so no body was open and since i had to cut the original pipe the original pipe is 2 5/8 and apparently that is an uncommon size of pipe to find a coupler for and so i actually bought a 2 3/4 coupler and then bought some u clamps and squeezed the pipe down to a where it needed to be and so i thought i was done and i started it up and what do you know i have leaks everywhere and of course its because the y pipe is a slip fit with band clamps man it really pisses me off I'm never buying parts from speed engineering again and anyone else shouldn't either any thoughts on how to fix this please comment
Old 08-23-2015, 05:02 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

PLEASE create sentences with capitalized first words and with periods! It'll help to read your posts!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-threads.html

Anytime you buy an off-brand inexpensive component from say, ebay, you need to realize it won't have the engineering and fitment quality of the better (more costly) name brand stuff. You'll always need to do more work and correcting on your part to make things "right".

It kinda makes it less worth the money you saved over the better stuff, eh?

Most header & Y-pipe setups need some sort of massaging and adapters/piping to make it fit to any muffler.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the welcome. I realized that they needed some massaging, but this was more than what I expected. The headers went right in and bolted right up besides the air and egr provisions. I am just going to take it to the exhaust shop tomorrow and tell them to fix it to where there are no leaks what so ever. Hopefully they don't charge me an arm and a leg to just fix leaks.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:46 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Good luck!

Quick Reply: header install problems!!!!