Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Leaking hatch, need ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Leaking hatch, need ideas.

Well, title says it. My rear hatch is leaking around the window, and possibly the spoiler. Light rain isn't bad, but heavy rain, or prolong reason will cause water to pool in the trunk.

I've checked the taillights, and little plastic piece, everything is good there. I hosed it down, and I'm 80% sure it's coming through the window itself and possibly the spoiler.

The spoiler i can seal no problem. But what about the window? Should i call a windshield shop? Is there a known easy fix?

I tried searching but could only come up with stuff about the weatherstripping and taillights, nothing about the window itself.

Oh, and the window is loose. You can push it up from the inside about 1/8".
Old 10-13-2015, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure the seal is not kinked or torn on the hatch itself, put some dielectric grease, or lithium grease or something on the seal to see if it stops it. Are you sure the hatch is latched all the way down sometimes they need a good push to click all the way. Also If your car has t-tops it could be where the seal overlaps at the back of the driver/passengers window, it can leak at the front of the sail panel and drip by the rear sail panel speakers grille covers. Make sure the seal is overlapping and not folded over, and that your windows are fully up. There's not really anywhere else it could leak from. Under high direct water pressure such as a hose when washing your car a few drips around each window seal is normal, "pooling" is not.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Is definitely coming from the rear window itself. The window is loose, and bounces when i hit a bump or even shut the hatch. Im starting to get worried the glass will pop out while I'm going down the freeway.

It's not the seal, hatch is closed all the way, it's not from the t-tips or door windows. It's definitely from the hatch window itself. Water starts flowing in from the bottom of the glass right in front of the spoiler.

What in guessing what happened, is previous owner loaded the trunk up and slammed the hatch down pushing the window up and comprising the sealant. Now when it rains, ill have 1" or more pooled in the trunk. Depending how hard it rained of course.

I contacted a window shop, and they say 100$ to reseal it, but he was very adamant his guy will most likely break the glass and require payment up front. I said screw that.

However, the few hatches I've found locally are in just as bad of shape, or want too much for them. I'm gonna try the gears, although i don't think it will work for my situation, but it's worth trying.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by demonsmokr
Is definitely coming from the rear window itself. The window is loose, and bounces when i hit a bump or even shut the hatch. Im starting to get worried the glass will pop out while I'm going down the freeway.

It's not the seal, hatch is closed all the way, it's not from the t-tips or door windows. It's definitely from the hatch window itself. Water starts flowing in from the bottom of the glass right in front of the spoiler.

What in guessing what happened, is previous owner loaded the trunk up and slammed the hatch down pushing the window up and comprising the sealant. Now when it rains, ill have 1" or more pooled in the trunk. Depending how hard it rained of course.

I contacted a window shop, and they say 100$ to reseal it, but he was very adamant his guy will most likely break the glass and require payment up front. I said screw that.

However, the few hatches I've found locally are in just as bad of shape, or want too much for them. I'm gonna try the gears, although i don't think it will work for my situation, but it's worth trying.
I've seen this EXACT issue on my buddies old 96? firebird v6, his back window was actually separating from the hatch at the very bottom center area of the glass, you could get a tube of 3m window weld squeeze it in on the inside, close the hatch and do something to keep pressure on the glass till it sets up, but you may still get a small leak, the proper way would be to have a professional remove the window and redo the entire seal, and it's pretty standard for all glass guys to sy that more then likely the window will break during removal.

for what it's worth I had a leak in the corner of my windshield on one of my old hondas, I jambed a tube of silicone up there and filled the area and never had water issues again, so it might be possible to do the same with the 3m windowweld, but the trick is to keep the glass down tight till it's done curing, which is like a day or so.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

I can understand the liability issues, but from i can tell, the glass is just about separated. I'd imagine the only way he would break it is dropping it. I asked if even the guy made a mistake and fucked up, they still wouldn't be liable. That is what i didn't like. If his hand skipped and dropped the window, I'm screwed.

Anyways, i just noticed today on my way to work, while driving with the windows down, it lifts the glass and u can see daylight through the bottom. That's not good, I'd hate for it to pop out while driving down the road.

Maybe I'll just cough up the dough for the used hatch and deal with the colors not matching. Then while mine is off the car, ill attempt to do the glass weld stuff.

I figure i could do a better job putting it on some saw horses or a table. But maybe not, i could put something soft and heavy on the glass of i left it on the car. I'll figure something out this weekend. I found a silver Trans am hatch for $80, it's rough but still on the car and guy is fine letting me soak it with a hose. It's missing the seal between the glass and frame, but so is mine. I'll check it out, if it's not worth it, ill jump on the window weld and hopefully will be set by Monday afternoon.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Just my 2 cents, i think you are being paranoid. The glass guy wont be careless. believe me, that's the last thing they want to do is break a window and **** off the customer.

I worked for a glass install place a while back. if he uses a piano wire to cut out the glass, it will be good. help him move the glass if needed.

whats the cost of a hatch ($80) + your time + living with un-matching colors VS the cost of a replacement rear glass?

just my 2 cents.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

You're right. $100 to potentially get fixed professionally, or $80 for a crap shoot and miss matched colors.

But if he breaks the glass, by way of Murphys law, ill be using the miss matched hatch anyways. Another thing, i gotta take it to them and leave it there. Or wait 2-3 hours.

I'll call around, maybe anther place will come to my job.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We found that the water dams up (cannot weep out) and over flows into the trunk if our bird is parked with the back end a lot higher than the front. After testing this he now pulls in to park with the front higher, no water in the trunk.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Stan1911
We found that the water dams up (cannot weep out) and over flows into the trunk if our bird is parked with the back end a lot higher than the front. After testing this he now pulls in to park with the front higher, no water in the trunk.
this is a TOTALLY different issue, the actual seal that holds the glass to the hatch is going out and the lower middle section of glass (the area where i'm pointing in the attached pic) is actually lifting up from the rest of the hatch allowing water in, this is completely different from the water damming that happens from pointing downhill.

or atleast that was my experience on my friends firebird. This can be seen as the glass will actually move some independently of the hatch when you press on it.
Attached Thumbnails Leaking hatch, need ideas.-1017151917.jpg  
Old 10-17-2015, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

That's exactly right. I'll get some pictures of mine tomorrow. Can really see it from the inside.

Gotta do something about it. Just gonna get worse
Old 10-18-2015, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The rear glass on these cars are urethaned in place just like the windshield. If the glass has physically separated from the hatch it is either due to improper replacement in the past or a OE adhesion problem. I have seen several cases of the urethane separating from the hatch as a factory problem. We had several rear windows on these cars lift the paint when still under warranty. When you cut the glass out you will find paint adhered to the bottom of the urethane and be able to grab it on a corner and pull whole damm glued surface off.

Any glass shop knows what to do from there. But you will and or should replace the glass molding around the window at the same time. It might still be available from gm.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

All is well, for now atleast. I happened to find a red Trans am hatch for sale on Craigslist. Got it for 160$. Not too bad considering my options.

Now i have an extra complete hatch with a bad seal on the window. Don't see getting much for it.

Spoiler is in great shape, but the clear coat has chipped away completely. Frame and everything is good, just the bad seal on the window.

How much are these spoilers bringing? I want to ask a fair price without ripping anyone off.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

They aren't bringing anything you pretty much gotta give them away nowday's.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

That's what i kinda figured. Not many people converting firebirds to Trans ams i guess.

Well I'm just outside of Houston Texas. If anyone has any other spare parts to trade.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Not in last 8-10 years all people whine about those of us who used to do it. For us poor blue collar kids outta high school thats only way I ever got a WS6 till 4 years ago when I bought my current one.

Quick Reply: Leaking hatch, need ideas.