Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need some opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
the biggest complaints I read on the TrailBlazers where if you live up North you need to watch out for frame rusting. after that the other common issues are cheap and easy fixes, like the tail light circuit board and the gauge cluster stepper motors. mine has 210k miles on it and outside of fluid changes and something the PO had serviced in the transmission I don't know of any other issues it's had before that.

most of the common things are small and CHEAP fixes, like if it's throwing a MAP code (like mine was when buying it) odds are you just need to disconnect the battery and clean the throttle body.

I replaced the control arms upfront as part of my suspension upgrade, but being honest the upper bushings had a fare bit of play in them.

also SHOULD you ever need to do an oil pan gasket on a 4wd model it's a pain in the *** because the front drive goes thru the pan.

what where you hearing about them?
I've heard electrical issues especially the taillights and some transmission issues. Ive found some for about 3500 years '02-05.

What about '04 ford f150?? I found one with 98k miles looks good but the price seems so low it about just over $2k
Old 11-09-2015, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by impala_ws6
I've heard electrical issues especially the taillights and some transmission issues. Ive found some for about 3500 years '02-05.

What about '04 ford f150?? I found one with 98k miles looks good but the price seems so low it about just over $2k
the tail light issue, if it does happen is like a 16 dollar part that can be bought from ANY autoparts store and some new bulbs.

as for the transmission, it's the 4L60E just like virtually every s-10 blazer and full size truck, they do have a weird torque management system in the computer, but i've not read of any issues out side of what is caused by people NEVER changing their trans fluid or that idiot on youtube that intentionally destroyed his. the most common issue on the transmission is a plastic bushing on the end of the shift linkage that breaks and causes you to not be able to get it into gear, but thats a 10 dollar part on ebay, for me I just had to adjust the shift linkage as my bushing wasn't busted but was acting the same way.

2k for a full size truck that new with that low a mileage is a MAJOR RED FLAG, even if it was 2 wheel drive, well atleast around here I would be worried it's a scam or something, I know when I was looking last year the 3,500 price point was about as low as you could find an 02+ full size 4wd vehicle, you had to go back to stuff made in the 90's to get to that price point and then it was usually pretty crappy.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Teching In

the tail light issue, if it does happen is like a 16 dollar part that can be bought from ANY autoparts store and some new bulbs.

as for the transmission, it's the 4L60E just like virtually every s-10 blazer and full size truck, they do have a weird torque management system in the computer, but i've not read of any issues out side of what is caused by people NEVER changing their trans fluid or that idiot on youtube that intentionally destroyed his. the most common issue on the transmission is a plastic bushing on the end of the shift linkage that breaks and causes you to not be able to get it into gear, but thats a 10 dollar part on ebay, for me I just had to adjust the shift linkage as my bushing wasn't busted but was acting the same way.

2k for a full size truck that new with that low a mileage is a MAJOR RED FLAG, even if it was 2 wheel drive, well atleast around here I would be worried it's a scam or something, I know when I was looking last year the 3,500 price point was about as low as you could find an 02+ full size 4wd vehicle, you had to go back to stuff made in the 90's to get to that price point and then it was usually pretty crappy.
I figure that was the case. I am gonna go looks at some trailblazers and jeeps next couple of days.
Found two TB '06 105k and 109k miles $3600 and $4300. Seems kind low for that year. Found another one '05 114k for $5300. I figure I call and go check them out.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by impala_ws6
I figure that was the case. I am gonna go looks at some trailblazers and jeeps next couple of days.
Found two TB '06 105k and 109k miles $3600 and $4300. Seems kind low for that year. Found another one '05 114k for $5300. I figure I call and go check them out.
I paid 3,350 for mine and it's an 03 with double the mileage of those and that was back in february of this year.

somewhere around 05 or so they added a MAF sensor to the air intake on the straight 6 and around about that time was when the 5.3 came to the regular wheelbase, in the early years it was only the extended wheel base (with the third row seating) that got the 5.3 but in 05 or so when they introduced the SS models with the 6.0 they added 5.3 option to the standard wheel base model.

my only real complaint is the plain jane boring plastic interior, they look so good on the outside but then go cheap looking inside and with other SUV's stepping up the game on the interior design, hell even the Envoys (built on the SAME PLATFORM) have a nicer interior, they fall behind and that is why I think they have a lower value then similar SUV's. My Parents have a newer Toyota SUV and a Lexus RX330 (unless they sold it by now) and the Trailblazer rides MUCH better then both of them, but their interiors spank the Trailblazer in the looks department. what I like is since they are so common the parts are pretty cheap and plenty have been wrecked and are in junkyards so there are parts galore, I got the shifter from an SS off ebay for like 60 bucks and it had EVERYTHING from the shift handle down to the part that bolts to the body and the shift cable attaches to, which includes the solenoid that some people have had an issue with.

check out the Trailblazer section over at GMTNation.com to get an idea of what to check for when looking at them. I think I've covered the common things.

Gauge Cluster stepper motors (about a 20 dollar fix if you know how to solder)
Tail Light Circuit Board (about 16 bucks)
Shift Linkage Bushing (10 bucks off ebay)

another common thing is the sway bar end links, the endlink design on every year except like 08 uses a rod with a ball joint on each end for the endlink and is total crap design and prone to wearing out causing a clunk when driving over bumps, the endlinks for all 4 corners run about a 100 bucks for the Moogs from RockAuto but there is also a place called SuspensionMAXX that makes endlinks that are like what 4th gens use but the set is about 200 bucks.

now that I think of it, this video covers most of the "common" issues

me personally I have not experienced any of the issues referenced in the video.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

me personally I have not experienced any of the issues referenced in the video.
I say this, then 2 days later the Headlamp relay goes out on me at work after dark and I have to swap the other relay and drive it home like that with no fan clutch relay.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:27 PM
Teching In

I ended up getting an '05 trailblazer ls with 3rd row seat AWD with 106k for $4500. I have ot say this thing is huge but it dirives smooth. I haven't found any issues with it other than the gauge lights aren't bright enough and the back window wiper doesn't turn on. Other than that it seem like a good working car.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

stupid question, but have you played with the dimmer for the dash lights to see if it is just turned down? I have to ask because every once in a while you come across people not aware that dashes have dimmers.

looks pretty clean, other then missing floor mats. I just prefer the shorter body personally.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Teching In

stupid question, but have you played with the dimmer for the dash lights to see if it is just turned down? I have to ask because every once in a while you come across people not aware that dashes have dimmers.

looks pretty clean, other then missing floor mats. I just prefer the shorter body personally.

Yeah i like the short bodies as well but at this point i needed a car and so far i am enjoying it.. I am gonna get some mats for it.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Teching In

And yes i did check the dim switch and its turned all the way up.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Does this mean you dumped the girlfriend?
Old 11-13-2015, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Trailblazer and huge are 2 words that don't go in the same sentence. They are a nice ride and that one looks well cared for by the pics. Don't worry about it **** on internet forums trashing cars you made a good decision. Trailblazers a damm good little SUV and if you take care of it she'll go the distance yours isn't even broke in yet we service a couple of them that have 255-330K on them.

As far as selling your car you need to talk with GF if her reasoning is based off of financial for the purchase of the other vehicle and or storage cost due to thin finances then I get it been there done that. If she's pushing selling it because of relationship stability kick her to the curb and move on.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Trailblazer and huge are 2 words that don't go in the same sentence.
You know whats funny, my 03 Trailblazer (SWB) and my 99 Firebird are both the same width (0.1" difference) and within 2" of the same length, with the firebird actually being the longer one but but it sure doesn't feel small sitting in it.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Does this mean you dumped the girlfriend?
Lmao no i did not but i made her see my POV so she's calmed down now.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for the advise!

Quick Reply: Need some opinion