Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

High Speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High Speed

Have a '01 WS6 converted to a 434LSX, F-1 procharged, huge Bell Intercooled, 4L80E with 6 spd kit, QA1, Moser 12 with 3.42 for high speed. Pushing for a sustained 200mph on Michelin P2s to handle the speed.
Has anyone tried to do this? Wondering at what point I need to worry about lifting up. I will have splitters installed before attempting this.
The front will be opened up for the intercooler so thinking of putting vents in the hood to help get rid of air out from under the hood and maybe creating some down force.
The trick...keep the car looking basically stock on the outside.
Any advise will be appreciated
Old 05-24-2016, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by onebad427
Have a '01 WS6 converted to a 434LSX, F-1 procharged, huge Bell Intercooled, 4L80E with 6 spd kit, QA1, Moser 12 with 3.42 for high speed. Pushing for a sustained 200mph on Michelin P2s to handle the speed.
Has anyone tried to do this? Wondering at what point I need to worry about lifting up. I will have splitters installed before attempting this.
The front will be opened up for the intercooler so thinking of putting vents in the hood to help get rid of air out from under the hood and maybe creating some down force.
The trick...keep the car looking basically stock on the outside.
Any advise will be appreciated
Need more info on what you are actually doing.
Are you running the texas mile or something? Salt flats?
Couple thing I can tell you is first and foremost I would take the QA1s off, burn them and then bury them, I would have nightmares about stability with them at highway speeds let alone triple digit speeds. They are low quality drag shocks that are not even gas charged. The car will be floating, and feel loose. I would highly suggest some good gas charged sport shocks and proper lowering springs. If you want coilover UMI and stranoparts just built some custom coilovers for ours cars specifically for road racing which will give superb stability compared to a drag shock.
Next, any aero piece you add make sure you attach to the frame and not just the plastic body, the spoilers or splitters should be able to take a substantial amount of weight if you want them to be really functional. Look up what the road race guys are doing, they see high speeds and need stability.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost bought Bilsteins. Always had great luck with them on my lifted trucks.
This is just a high powered street car. Was thinking of doing a run at the lake bed in Nevada once to see what it would do. Before that it would be caged also.
Thanks for the tip on the splitters, hadn't thought of that. Not sure how low I can take the car though, I have a monster 4" exhaust running under the car and it hangs down slightly.

Quick Reply: High Speed