Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

exhaust for V6 bird?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question exhaust for V6 bird?

hey guys, i have a problem and id like sum input on what you think i should do. about 5 months ago i bought a v6 1997 firebird for my 16th birthday. ive put a hurst shifter, edelbrock headers, and it came with some type of dual out exhaust. the car sounds good at idle, and decient at like 2500 RPMs, but when u get to like 3K and higher it starts to....i dont know how to describe it. i guess you could say it like gurgles or something like that? and when i take it to like 4K and then let off completely it gurgles relly loud. if someone could give me some input on a decient cat-back system or a different muffler i could put on it. the system has 3 inch dual outs so i dont think its the pipes, i think its just the muffler. but if anyone can help me out it would b so tight. thanx ya'll

also, if anyone had any clips or vids. of a v6 in action that would b tiight

Last edited by wakebum2507; 03-29-2005 at 10:50 PM. Reason: dd more
Old 03-29-2005, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

are you trying to say that it starts to sound like a V6? Oh, welcome to the sight. I've heaard a 3.4 4th gen comera sound pretty bad *** w/a ravin exhaust, but I don't believe I heard it at the rpms your concerned about. Here's a little sound clip LINK
that should help you out some.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear if you put a stock LS1 muffler in there, the V6 will sound pretty good.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

Hey what's up man...

Check out http://www.fullthrottlev6.com and sign up and ask your question there. More V6 guys are there and can probably tell you what exhaust sounds best.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:17 PM
CRM
Teching In

ive got a ls1 stock catback email me mal4ishka@gmail.com
Old 03-31-2005, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Default exhaust for a V6bird

ok guys, so i just spent an hour under my car looking around with a flashlight. my friend and i analzed the exhaust problem after skool and this is what we came up with: he thinks the muffler had been chopped and had all the insides taken out, which would explain why it only sounds bad above 3000 RPMs. i didnt believe him until i looked from the forward of the car looking back at the muffler and saw the cut marks. so now that i know its the muffler that is the problem, what should i do? the pipes are 2.5 inch all around so they are ok as far as im concerned bc i dont have a lot of cash to spend. right now the muffler is a single in/dual out to 2.5 inch pipes in the back. ive found some places that say an LS1 muffler would be good, and alot that say flowmaster. ive found an LS1 on ebay with a single tip and it looks pretty nice for cheap, not that im not willing to pay for the good looks. ive also found a flowmaster muffler on jegs with the same dimensions as mine and same single in dual out. which would you guys go with? the duals that i have now, i dont have tips so u cant really tell, but if i got a single with a big tip it would be noticable. what do you think? what would be the sound differences? also, my friend brought up the fact that i could put a cut out in there. do you think that would sounds bad? too loud maybe? any input on this stuff would be so great. thanx lots guys. here is one that i found that might be a viable option. would it make a big difference if i went from my dual setup now to this single? like sound wise i mean. here it is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...PcY_BID_Stores

Last edited by wakebum2507; 03-31-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

I had a stock ss/ws6 exhaust on my 98 V6 Camaro and it sounded good. very mild/deep at idle, but slight rasp at WOT. I have read many times that it is the best exhaust for the v6 cars. Easiest way is to check with muffler shops for any extras they might have laying around from a SS/WS6 owner having their exhaust upgraded.

Quick Reply: exhaust for V6 bird?