Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need Help... Neutral/Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help... Neutral/Safety Switch

I own a 98 Trans Am. I have been having a strange problem for the last 6 months. I thought it was the ignition switch and replaced that, but 2 weeks later the problem returned. Sometimes, it doesn't want to start. I finally get it to start by messing around with the shifter. I've had several people tell me they think it's the neutral safety switch. I was wanting to replace this on my own, but not sure how to go about it. Can anyone help me out? Step by step directions.

Thanks alot..
Old 11-07-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

It should be relatively easy to replace I believe.
I don't have any spare shifters here to look at, but there should be 2-3 screws holding the switch to the side of the shifter.
Just pull the shifter handle off (usually a c-clip on the frontside of the handle), remove the top main plate, there will be 2 screws holding that down in the center console compartment towards the front, carefully lift the plate up and disconnect the light for the shift indicator, should be a twist style.

Look and see if you have clearance to get to the switch like this, if you don't, then you will need to pull the lower console up as well, or see if you can get to the 4 screws that hold the shifter to the car and remove those so you can lift the shifter up and get to the screws.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Thanks alot, Zepher. I'm going to try it this weekend. Wish me luck.. I hope this really solves my problem. I will keep you updated..

Donna

Quick Reply: Need Help... Neutral/Safety Switch