Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need advice on project 02transam

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on project 02transam

Ok...well i recently just bought a 02 trans am (maroon) and want to fix it up. Im not sure of what i would like to do to it by going either with a supercharger, turbocharger, or just bolt ons. I spoke to a friend who loves to do this stuff and says to go bolt ons since it's cheaper and will give the defenite hp im lookin to get. Hes saying it should be no more then 4k and i allready own long tubes. I was thinking on going with the stealth cam that mti..has to offer...and i was wondering is this cam worth the buy? And how much would it be to go forged pistons and rods? Please anything would be great and i do like different advice since that would help out alot. Thanks
Old 09-24-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stealth cam is fairly small compared to others that alot of guys are running. A good bolt-on car can get you into the 11s. A buddy of mine is about to crack the 10s with a bolt-on car and a dry nitrous kit on the stock 10 bolt rearend. Is the car a M6 or auto? If it's an auto, a stall converter would be a great investment. I'd go 3000 or larger depending on what cam you pick. A good forged bottom end is going to knock a decent dent out of the 4k. Nitrous is cheap HP as another alternative.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLKHAWK
Ok...well i recently just bought a 02 trans am (maroon) and want to fix it up. Im not sure of what i would like to do to it by going either with a supercharger, turbocharger, or just bolt ons. I spoke to a friend who loves to do this stuff and says to go bolt ons since it's cheaper and will give the defenite hp im lookin to get. Hes saying it should be no more then 4k and i allready own long tubes. I was thinking on going with the stealth cam that mti..has to offer...and i was wondering is this cam worth the buy? And how much would it be to go forged pistons and rods? Please anything would be great and i do like different advice since that would help out alot. Thanks
Truthfully, it all depends on what your plans are for the car i.e. daily driver/weekend warrior,drag racing, autox, road racing etc... What is your budget? Do you have to worry about emissions? Full bolt-ons, H/C setup and Direct Port nitrous would be great but also have to think about your fuel system, tranny, suspension and rearend. You could always go FI and to be very honest with you, I'm partial to Procharger but at the very same time I would advise you to do your own research on FI applications. Best of luck with modding, whatever you decide to do I'm pretty sure it's gonna be one mean *** car...