Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap

Hello everyone Im new to this site and would like to give you some history on my 67 firebird. Sorry in advance about the long post. (question at bottom)

I was originally looking for a Camaro but ran across this Firebird. It was for sale for $5g all original no rust(I mean none)OE paint,interior,motor,trans and even had the stock hub caps. the paint was chalky and interior was shot. I talked the guy done to $4100 and he took it. Funny thing is Im the second owner, it was his fathers that passed away and he just wanted to get it off his mothers property. I also have one of the original black plates that came with the car. Im just fighting the DMV right now to keep them.

After getting it to my house I took the back seat out and found the production papers (I have yet to pull the tank to see if those are there) in the glove box was the owners manuel and steel stamp plate that came with the car.

Any ways here is my delema. Im not going to clone it, I gave it some thought and can't do that to her. I see 50 camaros to every Bird. and like both styles but she is what she is and will stay that way.

I have taken her apart and Im not sure what IM going to do yet. I really don't have the money to completely restore it to factory, plus Im a motorhead and love Muscle.

The OE parts are in storage the motor, trans, hub caps and such (none of the original equiptment will be missing from this car) except the the door panels headliner and stuff like that was damaged by the heat here in So Cal.

Until I figure what Im going to do as in restoration original vs muscle this is what i have done so far

Pulled motor and trans, installed disc brakes in front, had a quick paint job put on (knowing it will get the real pros later) to stop any damage that may acure and put on the Crager SS and thats about it.

My question is what do I need to change out to put a small block 327 in the place of the 326? I believe the motor mounts are different but don't know if there is a simple swap or need to order some new mounts for the conversion.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I say keep it all Pontiac. Find a 400/428/455.

"Not going to clone it", ..., What do you mean?!? There's nothing to 'clone' it to, for the 1967's really.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Teching In

^^ to a Camaro

I already have the SBC ready for a temp. motor until I decide how I want to restore it.

Plus I like small blocks over the big boys.

My main question was there any Mods required (motor mounts)to install chevy motor into the Pontiac.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:49 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd go LSx with it.....check out the Conversions & Hybrids forum.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RCR'S 67
^^ to a Camaro

I already have the SBC ready for a temp. motor until I decide how I want to restore it.

Plus I like small blocks over the big boys.

My main question was there any Mods required (motor mounts)to install chevy motor into the Pontiac.
Not that I support putting a Chevy in a Pontiac.
But you will need different motot mounts (ones for a Camaro should work) and the trans to engine bolt patterns are different aswell.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont support that....pontiac's can be made into some bad *** motors.

But do as your please...new mounts and tranny if you didnt know that one.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I had a solid roller, ported edelbrock headed forged 464ci pontiac in my 67, rand like a bat out of hell with a victor intake and 1050 dominator. Sold all of that business, once the 99 TA is sold, the 67 is coming home and getting a new turbocharged 408 ls1! >=)

Quick Reply: Engine swap