Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Simple fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple fix?

Im new to this site, so let me tell you a little bit about the "problem" i bought about a year and a half ago.

I bought a black '02 V6 Firebird with 25k miles on it. This car of course is unique on its own but to add to it. It looks like a TA. I have a fully working Ram Air kit under the hood and of course the hood to emphasize its coolness.

I originally fell in love with the car. I bought it with some slight cosmetic dings but nothing serious. I was brought up American Muscle, Hot Rods, drag races the whole 9, but as time went on more and more problems (all cosmetic) started to occur. Which naturally amplified my frustrations with every new "ding".

So! My biggest annoyance, at the time (and I dont know if this is a normal occurance) my drivers side door panel, on the outside, has apparently lost a bolt, the epoxy has come loose and I believe a piece of plastic has broken. This is under my mirror, which now causes my door to catch on my fender every time the door is opened. I've had many "ghetto rigs" which worked for a while, but with time passing, the skin has become looser, the paint on the fender is chipping and I actually got forceful one day and screwed up the fiber glass.

My question to you is, how in the hell do I go about fixing this, and is this something that happens to Firebirds or am I just the lucky one? And if theres a certain part needed, please tell me where to find it.

Im in the process of finally "supping" this thing up, and well, first things first right!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, well I'd have to say that you're going to either need to take it to a body shop, or get a new door. Our doors have plastic skins, so sadly we can't just tack weld them back on and sand it down. I guess you COULD JB-Weld it together, but you'd need to take the door off to make sure you get in.

I'd check also to see if it was wrecked before and fixed up. If so, you might be in for more problems down the line as the bumps and rattles of the road, jar things loose. Hopefully that isn't the case though.

Indeed, first thing is first Hopefully you drop in an LSx motor for your supe up. Or supercharge it... har!
Old 01-27-2008, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it was in a front end accident and fixed up with the Ram Air. an LSx motor huh? I think I kinda like the one I have.. but I was thinking more of a turbo than a supercharger. but not a bad idea thanks.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:40 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the JB Weld idea. If you take the interior panel off, you can get to the affected area easily from the inside as well.

If all else fails, you can take it to your local body shop. I wouldn't think that it would be too hard of a fix for them.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GirlsgottaBird
I think it was in a front end accident and fixed up with the Ram Air. an LSx motor huh? I think I kinda like the one I have.. but I was thinking more of a turbo than a supercharger. but not a bad idea thanks.
Well V8 vs V6 Even a Turbo V6 would have problems vs a mildly modified LSx motor I'm not going to try and persuade you away from your dream though. Since it's a 3.8, maybe it'll be awesome like the old Grand Nationals of yore