Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Searched and Searched, how many miles are to many?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searched and Searched, how many miles are to many?

Well someone has offered me 12K for my truck in my sig, and Im kinda looking at getting something different that will be a (LITTLE) bit better on gas. My main choice is an F-body perferably a Firebird/Trans-am. I know the LSX based engines are very reliable even well past 120,000 miles (like mine in my truck). Anyways around here its very very hard to find a 98-01 F-body ls1 for under 20K (canada sucks for this) so my only choice that fits my budget is an older LT1, theres several around here well within my price range but all are right around 120,000 miles on the odo, should I be worried if I get one of these? Or just maintain it well with good fluids and drive it and have fun?

All input apreciated
Old 03-28-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 452 Likes on 327 Posts

Personaly I think you will be buying trouble with that type of high mileage. There are always exceptions but.... If you are willing to spend $12k for an F-body, can't you come to the U.S. and buy a decent one? Are the taxes that prohibitive when you bring it into Canada? I know the car will be in mph in lieu of Km but you should be able to get used to looking at the speedo differently. I would much rather have a decent low mileage car that can be bought for less in the U.S. than pay top dollar for the opposite. It is better to pay the taxes in that scenario, if not crazy high. Good luck with your decision! I've owned F-bodies new since 1996 and NO regrets whatsoever. Put 40k on my first one and only 12k on this one. No plans to ever be without one. Constant positive comments since day 1.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with proper maintance an lt1 car can be pretty reliable also, just be ready to throw a new opti-spark distributer on it at a moments notice.

Quick Reply: Searched and Searched, how many miles are to many?