Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

my baby

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow what to do??

I have a 2000 ls1, auto, t-tops, 37,000 miles

...I have installed a Borla cat back exhuast and a functional ram air hood. Looking for more power without compromising reliability. I was thinking of tuner, MAF, bigger inj.? Just want to start off on the right foot here. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by tksmooth; 04-17-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know about LS1s, but LT1s don't need a MAF till around 650hp, bigger injectors won't help till you get more mods (headers, bigger TB, intake, maybe porting work on the heads, roller rockers), and don't buy a tuner. Go get it either tuned by someone like PCM for Less ($300~) or Dyno Tune ($550+). Still I wouldn't get a tune yet till you get mods anyways. The stock PCM will adjust for a fair bit of little things, but headers and porting work you'd want a tune to take advantage of it. Only thing the tuners are good for is changing gear ratios or upping tranny line pressure. But you can spend $35 on a B&M box that'll up line pressure with the flip of a switch. I'd get one if my car had been ONE year newer heh
Old 04-17-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start with the basic bolt ons. Don't waste time and money on the few mods you have listed. If your going to get a tune, get it after full exhaust and or a cam. If I was you, I'd buy a lid, headers, ory, ls6 intake, and a pulley. That is about 1k or less if you do your homework. Then of course later on if your not planning on adding a cam go ahead and get a tune after those mods. Good luck!

Quick Reply: my baby