Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Oil change on a GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil change on a GT

How may quarts do you guys put in your GT. I read in the manuel that it holds 8.8 quarts with the filter. Seems like over kill considering thats over 2 gallons of oil. Synthetic isn't cheap these days either. I read somewhere a while back that some guys just put five in their vettes even though they hold 7.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Many modern cars have extra large sumps to prolong the oil change interval. What you're spending on oil you're making up in extended service life. Just do what the factory recommends.

Also, it's not necessary to use high dollar synthetics. TropArtic 5-30 is a very good quality "synthetic blend," and is inexpensive.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Balance the cost of oil vs the cost of an engine rebuild. If you don't plan on keeping the car very long, I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no definitive mainstream research articles that state that synthetic oil will benefit you over the typical service life of the average automobile. Especially, considering the time span that the average person will own it.

If you ask me, if you can **** the money and not even think about it get the synthetic... otherwise don't splurge. Unless you like that extended oil service interval. (I do, personally.)

If the benefit was really that great and considering that GM now has 100 000 mile warranties then wouldn't they be using it in ALL vehicles?? It was stated in this thread that the increased cost is nothing v. the price of an engine rebuild.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
There are no definitive mainstream research articles that state that synthetic oil will benefit you over the typical service life of the average automobile. Especially, considering the time span that the average person will own it.

If you ask me, if you can **** the money and not even think about it get the synthetic... otherwise don't splurge. Unless you like that extended oil service interval. (I do, personally.)

If the benefit was really that great and considering that GM now has 100 000 mile warranties then wouldn't they be using it in ALL vehicles?? It was stated in this thread that the increased cost is nothing v. the price of an engine rebuild.

Most of the new GM vehicles do use synthetic including the Vettes that have used Mobil 1 Synthetic for quite a long time now.....

what oil they use in their engines is based more on who they have a contract with, not with what is best for the engine.... And I have noticed very noticeable gains with Synthetic over Conventional oil in my last 4 cars... which says to me, synthetic has a better efficiency then conventional so if its more efficient then I would think it is also better for the engine...

So by all means put the cheap stuff in your car, it is your car, but for me, I like the extra 3-5 mpg I get in all my cars with the synthetic.... not to mention on HP TV on the speed channel, they saw like a 12 hp gain with synthetics vs conventional IN A LS1 Camaro..... so that would explain the gas mileage as well....

But as I said, your car, your money, but lets not try to discredit synthetic oils because you prefer the cheap stuff...there is a reason all race cars use synthetics...
Old 02-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Teching In

they also promote z-max so you have to take the good with the bad....money makes the world go round and heavy sponsorships on speed channel show that.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Mine takes 8.8 just like the book says. As far as what you read about the vette guys. Do you really think if the can afford to buy a vette that they would put less oil in it to save a few bucks?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JASON11WS6
How may quarts do you guys put in your GT. I read in the manuel that it holds 8.8 quarts with the filter. Seems like over kill considering thats over 2 gallons of oil. Synthetic isn't cheap these days either. I read somewhere a while back that some guys just put five in their vettes even though they hold 7.
The AFM[DoD] is the reason the G8 takes so much oil. I believe oil pressure turns the DoD lifters on and off.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2ltrgsr
they also promote z-max so you have to take the good with the bad....money makes the world go round and heavy sponsorships on speed channel show that.
Yes but they also don't have dyno results showing z-max to increase any type of performance but they did with Royal Purple who really doesn't even have commercials on TV unlike their major competitors... "at least I have never seen a RP commercial"
Old 02-21-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Pennzoil is cheap at wal mart...
Old 02-21-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by baalic
Most of the new GM vehicles do use synthetic including the Vettes that have used Mobil 1 Synthetic for quite a long time now.....

what oil they use in their engines is based more on who they have a contract with, not with what is best for the engine.... And I have noticed very noticeable gains with Synthetic over Conventional oil in my last 4 cars... which says to me, synthetic has a better efficiency then conventional so if its more efficient then I would think it is also better for the engine...

So by all means put the cheap stuff in your car, it is your car, but for me, I like the extra 3-5 mpg I get in all my cars with the synthetic.... not to mention on HP TV on the speed channel, they saw like a 12 hp gain with synthetics vs conventional IN A LS1 Camaro..... so that would explain the gas mileage as well....

But as I said, your car, your money, but lets not try to discredit synthetic oils because you prefer the cheap stuff...there is a reason all race cars use synthetics...
How you do know it isn't your driving style? A one person test isn't very scientific.

HP TV is not the best place to get your results from. They are trying to generate sales from results. I am sure most of the increase came from tuning the car.

I have tested MPG with regular and synthetic and saw 0 change in MPG so
I think you subconsciously tainted the results with your driving style. It is not even possible for the change in viscosity between the oils to yield a 3-5 MPG difference unless you had sandpaper in your main bearings or something. That's a huge difference. Low rolling friction tires are like only 1 to 1.5 .....

Finally, who do you know I prefer "the cheap stuff?" I never stated which I use.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you ask me, if you can **** the money and not even think about it get the synthetic... otherwise don't splurge.
Hence the reference to cheap stuff.... also my driving style didn't change because I changed the oil...and this is the results of my last 4 cars, "truck".

Also they left the stock tune on the car when they did the fluid change but they did do ALL the fluids to see the hp increase... Tranny, Gears, and Engine Oil, Coolant too maybe... but obviously the coolant would be irrelevant. They dyno tested before and after and saw an increase in hp and torque across the board, SMALL but extremely cheap hp considering...

Also, I suppose I should confess and say, I also changed plugs and air filter on 2 of these 4 cars.... 97 Mercury Tracer, gas mileage before synthetic, 26mpg highway, after 29mpg hig hway after.. 2002 v6 Camaro highway mileage before synthetic 25mpg, with m1 full synthetic and plugs 28 with RP full synth 31... "that was by far the biggest differance" 2002 Z28 before synth 24mpg highway, after rp 27 mpg highway, although in town driving sucks and is lucky to be 17 or 18....which didn't seem to improve but maybe 1 or 2 mpg with the synthetic....

Also, while maintaining speeds of around 100mph to 110mph on a trip last year, my v6 Camaro managed 439 miles on one tank of gas.....figure out the math on it.... and I even have my ticket to prove my speeds....97 mph in a 70...LOL....bad idea btw...fwiw

Tests are all done by the fill it to the top, start the trip meter run it for a "X" amount of miles stop fill up again, divide the number of miles by the number of gallons it took to completely fill up..

And when I say completely fill up..to help fix any gaps, I wait until gas comes back out of the gas fill spout.... don't light a match around my shoes they will combust....lol

"also note that I didn't have to completely fill my tank obviously...on my trip, what I figured it to be was 29.xx mpg by the amount of fuel I put in it. I could have probably pushed it another 35 miles but choose not to for obvious reasons...."

These are just my experiences with RP oil....over conventional.. take em or leave em, but as I said, my driving style's haven't changed.....
Old 02-22-2010, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

My 09 takes 9qts and I always watch for sales or nab the Pep Boys online coupon. Don't skimp if it takes 8.8 it needs 8.8
Old 02-22-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edmanet
The AFM[DoD] is the reason the G8 takes so much oil. I believe oil pressure turns the DoD lifters on and off.
Thank you for providing useful info instead of continuing yet another oil master-debation.

Originally Posted by Devilish34
My 09 takes 9qts and I always watch for sales or nab the Pep Boys online coupon. Don't skimp if it takes 8.8 it needs 8.8
x2, throw in the 8.8. I've never heard of ANY Vette guys blatantly running 2qts low immediately following an oil change. I buy two 5 qt jugs from a store and save the extra 1.2 to compensate for the PCV's tendency to consume a bit of oil and my heavy right foot which will burn a little as well
Old 02-22-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by '02 WS6
Thank you for providing useful info instead of continuing yet another oil master-debation.
Hardly ---

AFM requires more volume but even the non AFM LS3 has about 8 quarts listed.

The real reason goes back to the extended oil change interval.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by edmanet
Not at all. The lifters have solenoids that allow the DOD to turn on and off. It is completely computer controlled. I have mine off because if you put an exhaust on your car it sounds terrible in 4 banger mode. For the record I only lost about 1 mpg if that. I plan on ripping mine out completely sooner or later and tossing in a cam.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

$60 for every 10,000 miles isn't very expensive. Get the mobil 1 5-30 at walmart $22 5qts and a M1 filter $10-12. Got 11,000 out of mine using the mobil1. FWIW.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Not at all. The lifters have solenoids that allow the DOD to turn on and off. It is completely computer controlled. I have mine off because if you put an exhaust on your car it sounds terrible in 4 banger mode. For the record I only lost about 1 mpg if that. I plan on ripping mine out completely sooner or later and tossing in a cam.

The solenoids lower the oil pressure allowing the lifters to collapse. There are no electronics inside the lifter if thats what you were implying.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by '02 WS6

x2, throw in the 8.8. I've never heard of ANY Vette guys blatantly running 2qts low immediately following an oil change. I buy two 5 qt jugs from a store and save the extra 1.2 to compensate for the PCV's tendency to consume a bit of oil and my heavy right foot which will burn a little as well
Yea my catch can likes oil lol
Old 02-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Hardly ---

The real reason goes back to the extended oil change interval.
You're smoking some righteous **** lol

Quick Reply: Oil change on a GT