Got the G8 tuned! Results less than I expected - LS1TECH

Log In 


Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Got the G8 tuned! Results less than I expected

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
2fast02TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 184
Default Got the G8 tuned! Results less than I expected

So I drove the G8 1150 miles back to Illinois (home town) to have my brother put a tune on the ECM and TCM using HP tuners and a friends dynojet. My mods are Vararam CAI and 2.5" catback with x-pipe and magnaflow exhaust. It was 62% humidity that day and 92 degrees. His computer was not set for SAE corrected numbers. The car put down 304rwhp baseline and after 5 pulls we were able to get 325rwhp out of it. I was happy with the 20hp but I felt the baseline was low compared to other threads I have seen and people I have talked to. Does anyone have any idea if these numbers would be comparable to most G8s with my mods if SAE corrected?

I was expecting around 340-350.

Sorry I dont have the graph scanned on to my computer yet but it peaked around 5500rpm.

Thanks for the input.
Shawn

Last edited by 2fast02TA; 07-20-2011 at 11:33 AM.
2fast02TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Belen, NM
Posts: 96
Default

Not sure why you were expecting higher numbers. You have very minimal mods. The Vararam works when at speed and air is being rammed in. The x pipe is very minimal. Long tubes would of made a much better difference. Picking up 20rwhp from the tune is damn good and if you got the trans tuned well, that makes a hugh difference.
SlwSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
10 Second Club
iTrader: (24)
 
ArklaTexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texarkana
Posts: 933
Default

ditch DOD and change out to a 3 bolt cam and pick up a ton of power. Headers and Cam you see people on the g8 boards making 400+
ArklaTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
2fast02TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 184
Default

Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe my expectations were a little high for my mods but I have seen people with cat back and vararam make 340. The tranny tune is ok but I expected a bigger difference. We used a manual from thetuningschool.com for the 6L80.
2fast02TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Belen, NM
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast02TA View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe my expectations were a little high for my mods but I have seen people with cat back and vararam make 340. The tranny tune is ok but I expected a bigger difference. We used a manual from thetuningschool.com for the 6L80.
Tuning the trans should of made a huge difference. My wifes G8 will bark the 1-2 and 2-3 shift with the trans tuned. And we are at 5200' elevation. I took a lot of time dialing in the trans tune. If you need a tune, I could send you my HP file. You could open up 2 windows (your tune and my tune) and just go over all the trans parameters.
SlwSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
2fast02TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlwSVT View Post
Tuning the trans should of made a huge difference. My wifes G8 will bark the 1-2 and 2-3 shift with the trans tuned. And we are at 5200' elevation. I took a lot of time dialing in the trans tune. If you need a tune, I could send you my HP file. You could open up 2 windows (your tune and my tune) and just go over all the trans parameters.
If you could do that, that would be awesome and greatly appreciated!
2fast02TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
TECH Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,598
Default

Yeah, trans tune should be a huge difference. Mine is AWFUL. I REALLY want to get it tuned but am worried about reliability and warranty.
dragonrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (7)
 
2QUIK4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chesterfield,Va
Posts: 707
Default

Your numbers are about where they should be. If you get a good set of LT headers you will pick up another 30+ rwhp.
2QUIK4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (13)
 
SREETRACEGUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Phiadelphia Ms. to Houston Tx.
Posts: 605
Default

those are min numbers though i made 335 with rotofab and tune but the dyno might be tight track times gives us a better idea of how strong it is since not all dynos are the same
SREETRACEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
On The Tree
 
johnbell2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 100
Default

No one has to worry about dynos being the same or not. Establish your stock baseline then observe the deltas. What people should be saying is "you should expect +this/+that with your mods" not "this/that".

Did you get a stock baseline?
johnbell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
2fast02TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbell2 View Post
No one has to worry about dynos being the same or not. Establish your stock baseline then observe the deltas. What people should be saying is "you should expect +this/+that with your mods" not "this/that".

Did you get a stock baseline?
Ya stock baseline was 304rwhp before doing any tuning. So it picked up 21rwhp on the tune. Which I was happy with
2fast02TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
On The Tree
 
johnbell2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast02TA View Post
Ya stock baseline was 304rwhp before doing any tuning. So it picked up 21rwhp on the tune. Which I was happy with
With those mods, +18 to +22 peak is about right for a tune.

I had the luck to do my build-up in stages with the same shop on the same dyno using the same SAE correction (Brian Reckart at Reckart Performance Tuning - *great* shop and strongly recommended by me). Here's how it phased up over time (numbers are peak rwhp/rwtq):

Stock baseline - 294/313

AFE dry filter intake, no tune - 304/324 (this was dead on with AFE's advertised expectations, impressive from a vendor to say the least)

Intake+tune - 324/346

Add Kook's 1-7/8" LTH + catted x-pipe to above - 358/372

Add DOD delete plus my custom Comp grind to above - 407/390

End results - +113/+77

Future - 4" intake + 102mm LS3 card MAF (stock MAF is current restriction)

Good luck modding!

Last edited by johnbell2; 07-30-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: peak
johnbell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
2fast02TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 184
Default

Thanks johnbell2. You got some nice numbers for you car!
2fast02TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
registered user
iTrader: (3)
 
ScreaminRedZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,953
Default

This is why I like to dyno stock to get a good baseline. Alot of people wonder what they gained from new mods, but don't have anything to compare it to except other people's dyno sheets.

SlwSVT, I'd be interested in seeing your trans tune also, if possible. Thanks!

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 08-19-2011 at 06:56 AM.
ScreaminRedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #15
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (4)
 
Gordon0652's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,182
Default

It's just Dyno numbers... Take it to the track. I am making 414rwhp and 392rwtq with the mods in my sig.
Gordon0652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #16
11 Second Club
 
edmanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast02TA View Post
So I drove the G8 1150 miles back to Illinois (home town) to have my brother put a tune on the ECM and TCM using HP tuners and a friends dynojet. My mods are Vararam CAI and 2.5" catback with x-pipe and magnaflow exhaust. It was 62% humidity that day and 92 degrees. His computer was not set for SAE corrected numbers. The car put down 304rwhp baseline and after 5 pulls we were able to get 325rwhp out of it. I was happy with the 20hp but I felt the baseline was low compared to other threads I have seen and people I have talked to. Does anyone have any idea if these numbers would be comparable to most G8s with my mods if SAE corrected?

I was expecting around 340-350.

Sorry I dont have the graph scanned on to my computer yet but it peaked around 5500rpm.

Thanks for the input.
Shawn
Not trying to be a smart *** but why would you drive 1150 miles
to get a tune when PatG doesn't live that far from you ?? He lives in
Victoria TX and is one of the best G8 tuners out there. His G8
made 505hp NA.
edmanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #17
On The Tree
Thread Starter
 
2fast02TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanet View Post
Not trying to be a smart *** but why would you drive 1150 miles
to get a tune when PatG doesn't live that far from you ?? He lives in
Victoria TX and is one of the best G8 tuners out there. His G8
made 505hp NA.
Honest question. I was going back to Illinois for the weekend anyways, thats where I am originally from, and my brother has had hp tuners for awhile now. We also had access to a dyno for free. Made sense to me to only spend the gas money, as I was going there anyway, to get a tune. Plus money for extra stuff including a $400 tune have been out of the question due to medical bills.

But yes Patrick G is only 1.5 hours from me and unless I drive the G8 back to illinois again anytime soon I will prob be seeing him in the future. I am not super impressed with the tranny tune I got from the tuningschool.com's manual so I might have him adjust that portion soon.
2fast02TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #18
11 Second Club
iTrader: (6)
 
Rob_WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 82
Default

+1 on taking a look at your tranny tune slwsvt. Mine needs a bit of tweaking cuz I'm not happy with it as it is
Rob_WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2009.5 G8 GT, Compare Cats vs No Cats Gordon0652 Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ 3 05-08-2012 04:18 PM
2009 G8 GT: CAI, Axleback, Tune ScreaminRedZ Dynamometer Results & Comparisons 16 07-05-2011 01:38 PM
Cam only C5 dyno 5/18 TQDrivenWS6 Dynamometer Results & Comparisons 6 05-19-2011 04:56 PM
2003 Z06 cam-only, 432rwhp/400rwtq (Guess the cam!) Ryan L Dynamometer Results & Comparisons 95 11-13-2008 12:19 AM
THE cam has arrived, M2 the most powerful LS1 camshaft on the market KECHME Generation III Internal Engine 53 03-17-2003 12:56 AM


Tags
2009, blue, cai, g8, gt, hp, install, package, performance, pipe, reckart, results, stryker, tuned, tuner, tuning, xpipe

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.