Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Lifter tick

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Lifter tick

I'm getting the dreaded lifter tick, but only when it's cold outside and before the car heats up. Is this more of a nuisance or will it eventually lead to catastrophic failure??
Old 03-25-2013, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can lead to dod lifter failure (very common). I just got my car back from the dealer because of the same issue. It started as a lifter tick and turned into a misfire on cylinder 6 (the dod lifter was stuck closed and wasn't making contact with the pushrod to open the valve). I would have it looked at now, especially if your still under warranty.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Should still be covered under warranty but if I have to crack it open to put a lifter in it I want to do away with the DOD stuff and put a mild cam in it while I'm in there. Just wondering if it's something I should take care of now? If the lifter(s) do fail, is it gonna be more damage than just the lifter?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Iroc
If the lifter(s) do fail, is it gonna be more damage than just the lifter?
This is impossible to answer. I got very lucky as the lifter didn't break into pieces, rather just get stuck closed. Why take the chance if it's covered under warranty? I had the same idea in my head but at the end of the day, I didn't lay out any money and my car is now 100%. If I decide I want to swap the cam in a week or a year, at least I know my car didn't have any issues prior to the install.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Won't get better over time, that's for sure. I had the lifter tick in my car back around 15k miles. Would only do it for a second or two on cold start ups, then went away. Around 20k miles it was worse.

I would bring it to the dealer. Bad lifters can beat up the cam. There's a TSB for this problem. Mine were replaced under warranty (with an improved design lifter.) Not a single tick since then and I'm at 61k miles.

Or, do a DOD Delete/cam swap and put a real cam and real lifters in it

Quick Reply: Lifter tick