Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Bye Bye G8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my 14 Regal as well, I spent the extra money for the GS because I couldn't get over those wheels on the standard models.

Have you tried boost launching it? The only way I've been able to do it is to shut traction off, it's surprising how it can chirp all four tires too.

I'm not sure about the standard Regal, but on the GS you can push the traction control button twice and enter competition mode on the stability; this works best for snow driving. With the limited slip rear diff and AWD it's notorious for throwing the rear out under acceleration which takes a lot of getting used to.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the GS wheels too but I couldn't see spending $9000 more on the only used one in my area that appealed to me. My neighbor has a FWD GS and he doesn't drive it during the winter because he said the wider low profile tires suck in the snow.

The adjustable suspension is something I wish I had, but the standard AWD Regal has the hi-po struts so it does handle really well. I could get a used set of GS wheels and mod my car nicely and I wouldn't spend nowhere near $9000.

I'll have to try double tapping the the TC button and see if it works on my car. How would I know if that mode is engaged, is there a chime or a light that illuminates?
Old 02-13-2015, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GS is definitely overpriced. I started looking at an Impala and then some really good offers came out. I think I got about $8500 off the car with rebates back in March. It was AWD GS only, so I was siked.

The adjustable suspension and steering changes in GS mode are really cool, but as a DD, I hardly ever use them. That said, in GS mode it's hands down the best handling car I've ever driven.

On the GS you just tap the traction button twice and the center display will say competition mode and the stability light will come on.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tried double tapping the TC button and nothing happened so it must be a GS only feature. I was able to turn off the stability control by holding the TC button so I can do all wheel drifts lol.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The G8 is a damn good car, I never said it wasn't, but it has some issues and many G8 owners in this thread have agreed it does. Plus it's pretty basic on options and not a good daily driver in the snow belt, but as a RWD muscle car it's right up there at the top.

If GM produces a twin turbo V6 sedan (GNX?) with all wheel drive that's affordable in price I'll probably trade the Regal for one. But as of now there's nothing they produce that would persuade me to get rid of this fine car.

Last edited by RevGTO; 02-16-2015 at 09:58 PM. Reason: deleted personal references
Old 02-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Warning to those who jumped on this thread and started attacking the OP: keep your comments focused on the content of the thread, not the character of the poster. I had to delete a bunch of posts that were little more than personal attacks. Do it again and there will be sanctions.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
The G8 is a damn good car, I never said it wasn't, but it has some issues and many G8 owners in this thread have agreed it does. Plus it's pretty basic on options and not a good daily driver in the snow belt, but as a RWD muscle car it's right up there at the top.

If GM produces a twin turbo V6 sedan (GNX?) with all wheel drive that's affordable in price I'll probably trade the Regal for one. But as of now there's nothing they produce that would persuade me to get rid of this fine car.
People give me crap about buying a 2012 Impala LTZ too. If it makes you happy and meets your needs, it serves its purpose.

I wanted a Camaro, but it failed to meet family needs. The BMW my friend suggested failed to meet my budget. The 3.6 SIDI in the Impala is a great little engine. With Michelin X-Ice tires, I don't need AWD. If you had been selling your G8 a year ago, I would have paid more than the trade in for sure. It would have made me happy, but not as well suited for the needs of the family. I could not have considered the Regal. Too expensive and too small for my son's custom wheelchair. I have more invested in the wheelchair than some people on these forums have put into their cars. It is a major driver in the decision making process for me.

Don't let anyone talk you into second guessing your choices.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

Y

Trucks don't handle well compared to a car, they get poor gas mileage and they all basically look the same. Plus everyone has one, I'd rather have something different than all the lemmings out there. I like cars because they have some style to them, they aren't just a box on wheels.
I'd rather take the Tahoe on a 1000 mile trip with 5 people than smaller car like like the Buick any day. I prefer it over my Impala as well. The Tahoe handles fine at highway speeds. It doesn't need to do more. The 4WD Z71 had no problem in Chicago snow January of last year. I was driving through snow that would bury the Buick due to lack of clearance. Oh... I got over how cars look when I hit 40 with 3 kids.

There are trade-offs in everything. We each have to make our choices.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kelobro
I'd rather take the Tahoe on a 1000 mile trip with 5 people than smaller car like like the Buick any day. I prefer it over my Impala as well. The Tahoe handles fine at highway speeds. It doesn't need to do more. The 4WD Z71 had no problem in Chicago snow January of last year. I was driving through snow that would bury the Buick due to lack of clearance. Oh... I got over how cars look when I hit 40 with 3 kids.

There are trade-offs in everything. We each have to make our choices.
I have 4 kids at home and I'm 55 and the Regal suits me perfectly well. Granted when we all go somewhere as a family we have to take 2 cars but that doesn't happen very often. My wife has a 2013 Impala that she drives daily.

Here's an interesting article, it seems Buick has moved up into the top ten in the ratings. Notice the section I highlighted in bold for all you car enthusiasts.

Buick became the first domestic name to break into the top 10 of Consumer Reports' annual Car Brand Report Card, capping a series of successes that has catapulted Buick far beyond its once dowdy image of older folks looking for soft rides.

First there was the nearly year-old ad campaign commonly recognized as "The Garcias got a new car," in which Buick tapped into a nosy neighbor's envy over the Enclave crossover.

Then in January, brand chief Duncan Aldred, the Brit who came from Opel a year ago in March, unveiled the Cascada convertible and swooping Avenir luxury concept sedan at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

As Cadillac aims to double its product portfolio from six to 12 models by 2020 in the higher reaches of the luxury market, Buick has already put points on the board.

DETROIT FREE PRESS

Cascada is first Buick convertible in 25 years

Attracting new and younger buyers has been a Buick mission for decades, but now the data show success. For the first two months of 2015, 42% of Buick buyers either traded in a non-GM model or didn't own another Buick, according to spokesman Nick Richards. That is up from 35% in 2009.

Over that same period the percentage of Buick buyers who are under 55 has grown from 31.7% to 33.4%.

"For years domestic automakers built lower-priced and lower-quality alternatives to imports, but those days are behind us," said Jake Fisher, Consumer Reports director of automotive testing. "Today many domestic models can go toe-to-toe with the best imports."

Historically the magazine, which many Americans regard as a credible arbiter of quality across industries, has treated Detroit automakers much the way an Ivy League dean of admissions regards more working-class public school applicants.

Some of that continued to be reflected in the findings released Tuesday.

DETROIT FREE PRESS

Consumer Reports: Buick soars, other Detroit brands stumble

For example Ford brand ranked 24th, while Lincoln was 16th. In the FiatChrysler brand lineup Chrysler came in at 23rd; Dodge at 25th; Jeep at 27th and Fiat was 28th or last.

The complete list can be found at www.ConsumerReports.org. Consumer Reports spokesman Matt Fields said Ram was not included because the magazine only ranks brands for which it has data on two or more models, and it only had data on the Ram 1500 pickup truck.

Lexus ranked number one of 28 brands for the third straight year, followed by Mazda, Toyota, Audi and Subaru.

Mercedes-Benz slipped from the top 10 last year to 21st, "due to a decline in reliability from several of its models and the low-scoring new CLA," Consumer Reports said.

Acura fell from second last year to 11th this year.

Buick leapfrogged Honda and BMW for the first time.

In Consumer Reports' annual "top picks" by segment, the Buick Regal led in the sports sedan segment, edging out the BMW 328i, which won the segment the last two years. The Chevrolet Impala was the top pick in the large car segment. No other Detroit Three models earned that honor.

Tesla's Model S was named best overall. Subaru's Legacy won among midsize sedans, the Impreza topped the compact car group and the Forester was cited as best among small SUVs. It was the Forester's second consecutive year leading its segment.

The Toyota Prius was named best "green car." The Audi A6 was judged best luxury car. The Honda Odyssey was cited as best minivan, while the publication named the Toyota Highlander its top pick among midsize SUVs.

The magazine's test drivers evaluated 270 vehicles as part of the Brand Report Card on their performance, reliability and safety. The reliability rating was based on the number of problems Consumer Reports subscribers reported in the respective model. To earn a top pick recoginition the vehicle must have performed well in crash or rollover tests conducted by the federal government or the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Among GM's other brands, GMC ranked 14th; Cadillac, 16th, and Chevrolet, 19th.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I loaded up the Trifecta tune today and all I can say is OMG!!!!! It pulls like a freight train and just keeps pulling harder with each solid gear change. The G8 didn't respond like this turbocharged Regal did to a tune, it's simply amazing like it's a different car. I couldn't stop pushing on the gas pedal and laughing it's so much fun to drive now!!!!!
Old 04-11-2015, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

I loaded up the Trifecta tune today and all I can say is OMG!!!!! It pulls like a freight train and just keeps pulling harder with each solid gear change. The G8 didn't respond like this turbocharged Regal did to a tune, it's simply amazing like it's a different car. I couldn't stop pushing on the gas pedal and laughing it's so much fun to drive now!!!!!
That's the great thing about FI tuning does wonders over NA. Post of some vids of before and after ?
Old 04-11-2015, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have any videos but it's making max boost now. Before I tuned it I could hardly feel it shifting, now it's totally obvious since it surges ahead everytime it shifts.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't have any videos but it's making max boost now. Before I tuned it I could hardly feel it shifting, now it's totally obvious since it surges ahead everytime it shifts.
How much hp was you supposed to gain from the tune ? Glad they are working on some performance goodies for you're car !
Old 04-11-2015, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GM's design decisions on some of these cars has always left me truly puzzled, there's no getting around the fact that the majority of GM car's are built like absolute ****. In fact I have never owned, nor do I know anyone that owns a GM car that has not has some manner of ridiculous and unnecessary problems with their car. Yet I still love them. For some reason most of the car's they produce seemingly have a much better aesthetic appeal to them then other brands, especially imports these days, but I would never buy one new.

The suspension on the G8, or any GM car with the exception of the vette, and the newer "super production" car's that GM is making, has always been of a particular design. McPherson strut. Reason? It's CHEAP, and guess what, it performs like a cheap suspension. Sure you can modify it, beef it up, but at the end of the day, it can't hold a candle to modern day designs and double wishbone designs. Even import's like honda's which use to use the double wishbone almost exclusively have converted their cars to the cheaper mcpherson design. The shortcomings of that design are just overwhelming in this day and age, from bushings to strut mounts to any number of issues I have had to deal with for the past 10 years of GM's just straight up lazy and cheap engineering and quality.

If you like the regal, more power to ya, but get rid of the damn thing before the warranty is up if you hate fixing car's, because in time, its gonna start breaking like the G8 did. It's a damn shame they abandoned the GNX concept from a couple years ago because that's about the only buick i thought that didnt look like an old man car. I always liked Pontiac's styling from the late 90s into the late 2000's until GM put them under, always found them to be the more stylish and aggressive looking brand over chevy.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with you about the poor suspensions on GM cars. My daughter's have a G6 and a Grand Am and they both have severe suspension rattles. I've had them both looked at and they can't seem to find the problem. I'm thinking it's numerous things like strut mounts & swaybar links and possibly the struts. The G6 has the same crappy front suspension design as the G8 does so I'm sure that's where some of it is in the front.

The Regal rides very solid and has A arms front & rear so maybe they addressed the issues of their earlier cars. I have a 7yr/100K bumper to bumper warranty so at least I'll know it's covered until it's paid for. The Regal is slated for a redesign in 2017 and I've heard it will switch to the Alpha chassis that the Cadillac uses. It will be RWD and AWD will be optional.

Originally Posted by OneSlowV
How much hp was you supposed to gain from the tune ? Glad they are working on some performance goodies for you're car !
Trifecta claims 82 ft-lbs and 61 WHP from their tune and I'd say those numbers are pretty accurate. Stock is 260 hp and 295 ft lbs at the crank, so I'm guessing it's putting out almost 400 ft lbs now since it pulls so much harder. I swear it feels like I dropped a V8 in this car with this tune, I can't wait to drive it again tomorrow!
Old 04-12-2015, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd be curious to know what your LTFT's look like on the trifecta tune, did he tune it based on datalogs or is it just a can tune he hands out to everyone? I've never been a big fan of those "one tune fits all" deals. Seen numerous disasters occurs from can tunes, or they just don't add the kinda performance they claim. Most companies will cover their *** by only doing conservative changes to the tune file to get desired results, removing IAT based ignition retard tables, or ECT based ignition tables, torque management, etc, but never really messing with oem fueling tables, or ignition tables.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's a canned tune that allows data logging for fine tuning based on the LTFT's. They tune most GM V8's and they have a good reputation, I haven't found any bad feedback on their tunes.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's a canned tune that allows data logging for fine tuning based on the LTFT's. They tune most GM V8's and they have a good reputation, I haven't found any bad feedback on their tunes.
Yeh I know their name from the cobalt's, never heard anything bad either, just always seemed like there was room left on the table with those compared to what people were getting with a custom tune tailored to their car with hptuners. I like having full control over everything rather then relying on someone elses interpretation of what is best. Any plans to put it on the dyno and see if you got what was advertised?
Old 04-12-2015, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I originally wanted to get it tuned locally but I couldn't find a place in my area with a 4 wheel dyno since it's AWD. So that's why I went with Trifecta since the guys in the Regal forum like their tune the best.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I originally wanted to get it tuned locally but I couldn't find a place in my area with a 4 wheel dyno since it's AWD. So that's why I went with Trifecta since the guys in the Regal forum like their tune the best.
Ah gotcha, your gonna enjoy that awd in the winter over the RWD lol

Quick Reply: Bye Bye G8 GT