Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO Power Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GTO Power Problems

I have a 2006 GTO 6.0L 4 speed automatic, I've had it for a week, and recently when
ever I floor the pedal down, it feels like a huge power lose, and it doesn't shift into the
next gear, and the check engine lights blinks for a few seconds then turns off, what
could it be? It has transmission fluid and everything. One other thing person before me
put MSD wires. But when I first bought the car and floored it, it worked find till recently
when I tried it again and it did this. I have scanned for codes doesn't show any codes, i currently cam stuck on what to do next.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Not really sure what is happening from your explanation. Is your car just not shifting correctly or is it also bogging down when you floor it? If it is just not shifting then your transmission probably needs to be repaired. If your engine is bogging down whenever you floor it I would try turning off traction control. Or checking your MAF and O2 sensors but that would have probably shown a code if your sensors went out. I have MSD plugs wires on mine and have no problems so don't think thats the problem. If a wire is bad or loose you should hear a weird popping noise from the engine not firing correctly. My best guess would be transmission though.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A flashing check engine light typical indicates a serious misfire and to shut the engine down and have it serviced before you have a catastrophic failure.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Clogged Cats??? Just a thought
Old 02-02-2014, 05:08 AM
Staging Lane

Try your fuel filter, sounds like you could be starving for fuel
Old 02-02-2014, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

There isn't any fuel filter on a gto,just the sock on the fuel pump.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO
A flashing check engine light typical indicates a serious misfire and to shut the engine down and have it serviced before you have a catastrophic failure.
It flashes because it is catalyst damaging(catalytic converter), not necessarily going to cause catastrophic failure. Although, it can cause catastrophic failure and should not be driven until repaired.

I would start by checking for codes. Most likely you have a po300(random misfire) set, probably a few others as well.

Once you have the codes, you'll be in a much better position to diagnose the issue. In the mean time, you can rule out the easy stuff like plugs/wires/coils, plugged cats, ect...

Quick Reply: GTO Power Problems