Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Help me diagnose this sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help me diagnose this sound

Hey guys need help figuring out what this sound might be, anyways went to track last night made 7 or so passes got home pulled in the garage and heard this noise. Car is Cammed and has all supporting mods for it, pulled the valve cover off the driverside and everything looked and felt fine, i even lubed up the pulleys just to eliminate that. I cannot pinpoint the exact location of the sound just know its coming from the driver side of the motor. Doesnt effect performance, but i dont want to drive with that sound until i know what it is. All info would be apperciated!

Vid:
Old 02-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like poker chips

its hard to tell. If all of your acc are good and its not coming from a belt or pulleys. I would start with your rockers and make sure all of the needle bearings are there. Look the rockers over then move to the tips and pushrods. Make sure the guides are good and you didnt bend a push rod. Next would have to be lifters but it doesnt sound like a lifter. That doesnt mean that it is not one though.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me that you may have an exhaust leak but need to check the top end stuff as stated by GravelSurfer83. Grab each rocker and move it around, it should have some play when you twist it side to side and should NOT have any play when you try to lift or depress it. Check the springs as well.

Quick Reply: Help me diagnose this sound