Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Wheels/Street Radials

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels/Street Radials

I am sure there has been a thread for this before, but I am at work and shouldn't really be browsing the internet (lol) I will most likely sometime in the future be going with 18s, but I am picky about wheels and haven't decided exactly what I want, but as for now I am ok with my 17s... now I want to start racing soon, and one of the last things on my list is going to be street radials, now question being is, how big of a tire can I put on my stockies, and what brands has everyone had good luck with, I will drive the car on occasion and race on occasion, so I will be looking for a set of tires to fit my fancy in that area.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Default GTO Wheels

Not sure if you are interested but I have some staggered Chrome TSW wheels that came off my GTO. I went back to stock for the sleeper look so just have these stacked in my shop.

I recommend installing a set of dragbags for the 19s on the rear to prevent rubbing on the fenders. I have a new set that I bought to install before I went stock that I will throw in with the deal if you want.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...w-cadwell.html
Old 04-07-2015, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run nitto 555r's as my street tire and now have slicks for the track but at stock power levels I was still able to cut a high 1.7 to low 1.8 consistently when i ran 555rs at the track. With the stock 17 you can run the 245 and because nittos are a little narrow you can also run the 275. The Mickey thompsons et street radials and nt05rs are stickier and better if you wanted just a dedicated track tire. You just won't get the same mileage as the 555rs if you ran them on the street.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Mt steeets.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

BFG 295/35/18 drag radials for street and 255/50/16 Hoosiers for street and track! Car has a mini tub.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This one will leave you scratching your head...

I've cut 1.59 60's on MT ET Street bias plies, 26x11.5R16 on 16x8 salad shooters. Poor man's combo, works very well. Track only.

DRs I ran 275/40R17 MT ET Street radials. These will hold more power than you'll probably ever make on a street car. If they don't hook, the problem is your driving or your suspension.

Downside is they are downright lethal in wet weather. I drive to conditions no matter what, but had to drive in light rain and even doing 35mph super slow and careful, I had the back end come around on me and send me into oncoming traffic. Miracle no wrecks happened. F-ing embarassing.

I pulled the MTs after that. Dry-weather only tire. I knew this, but s**t happens and at the time my daily was down for repairs so the Goat was all I had to get to school and work.

I had the most success with 245/45R17 Dunlop Star Specs and ZIIs (the successor to the Z1 star specs) These 9" wide tires hooked up under ALL my power until I switched to 3.91 gears, they handled like the road race tire they were designed as, and they handled wet weather like a champ. Also wore like iron. Hard sidewalls and noisy tread pattern, but for the $$$ nothing else came close.

A drag radial will always be about compromise. Decide what you can live with, and whether your car is for daily use or dry weekends only.

GL!

Quick Reply: Wheels/Street Radials