Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Looking for 9 inch rear info&reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by magnum-gto
We originally looked for a 9" kit but at the time (2007) there wasn't one available.

We settled for the 8.8 using a stock Cobra aluminum unit.

We have had zero problems with the installation even though we are a full weight and pull decent 60' times. (low 1.30s)

The aluminum 8.8 nearly matches the OE unit for weight and ground
clearance and has the additional benefit of very inexpensive gear set
prices.

Our car is an automatic with a trans brake. Manual transmission
applications may not have the trouble free experience we have seen.

In retrospect...I am very happy with our 8.8 decision.
Aluminum unit is nice, very few know how to rebuild that unit. Just the extra labor involved would cost several hundred more than the cast iron unit. You are right, parts are cheap...

At the end of the day, if you aren't changing gears often, the oem unit is a viable option imo. How's the nvh driving around town?
Old 06-06-2015, 11:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
Aluminum unit is nice, very few know how to rebuild that unit. Just the extra labor involved would cost several hundred more than the cast iron unit. You are right, parts are cheap...

At the end of the day, if you aren't changing gears often, the oem unit is a viable option imo. How's the nvh driving around town?
We've had no trouble finding local Mustang fanatics that do a good
job installing gear sets.

Maybe you mean the extra initial cost of differential, not labor.
Yes, that is a factor, but probably less dollars per pound weight savings,
than fiberglass and certainly less than carbon fiber.

NVH? None.....well, maybe like an '04 Cobra.

You are correct, if you don't change gears often, then gear cost would not be a factor.
In our case, we started with a 3.73, changed to a 3.55, and then to a 3.31.

Our last gear change cost us $300 total. (parts and labor)

Anyway, OP, there is real life experiences from 3 points of view.
We probably didn't help at all.

Last edited by magnum-gto; 06-07-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We've had no trouble finding local Mustang fanatics that do a good
job installing gear sets.

Maybe you mean the extra initial cost of differential, not labor.
Yes, that is a factor, but probably less dollars per pound weight savings,
than fiberglass and certainly less than carbon fiber.

NVH? None.....well, maybe like an '04 Cobra.

You are correct, if you don't change gears often, then gear cost would not be a factor.
In our case, we started with a 3.73, changed to a 3.55, and then to a 3.31.

Our last gear change cost us $300 total. (parts and labor)

Anyway, OP, there is real life experiences from 3 points of view.
We probably didn't help at all.
$300 parts and labor tells me that either that was a hook-up or it wasn't done correctly. The good parts and labor cost more than that on the iron housing, the aluminum housing requires different build techniques that adds additional work... I'm just saying. The most basic build on an aluminum housing would run at least 5-700 on just labor.

I'm glad it's working for you, it's the more desirable of the swaps imo.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:02 PM
8 Second Club

$300 parts and labor tells me that either that was a hook-up or it wasn't done correctly. The good parts and labor cost more than that on the iron housing, the aluminum housing requires different build techniques that adds additional work... I'm just saying. The most basic build on an aluminum housing would run at least 5-700 on just labor.

Maybe I'm just lucky......I was able to purchase a new Cobra unit, (zero miles) complete with yoke, stubs and back cover, for $900.
I have used this unit as a back up with no issues.
I have to be honest....the $300 deal was a package deal (good used, take out set, installed). I only supplied the diff assembly. It is the unit in the car now.

I admit, we are in the heart of Mustang country, maybe that is
why we have never had any problem finding parts or talented labor.

Still, I don't quite understand your experiences concerning the building
of these units. I have had two units built with a gear change while
I waited. Took about an 1 1/2 hr each time. Each unit was quiet
and performed with no issues. Nothing that comes close to the
labor intensive experience you are seeing.

Your experience and ours make me wonder if we are talking about
the same diff.

Last edited by magnum-gto; 06-07-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:31 PM
8 Second Club

I just noticed that you are located on the left coast. Not sure which part,
but after living in San Diego and L.A. for 10 years I have seen that there are
indeed, major cost differences in many areas. (including diff builds)
Old 06-07-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just noticed that you are located on the left coast. Not sure which part,
but after living in San Diego and L.A. for 10 years I have seen that there are
indeed, major cost differences in many areas. (including diff builds)
Probably it. But on that case (alum) you don't just r&r, a case spreading tool is a must if you intend to do it right and it adds to build time. Cast iron case doesn't and is straight-forward if you know all the settings you are after.

What part of LA?

Average basic build is 450 here if you walk the pumpkin in to a decent shop. Nothing special, just r&r. Nice builds are usually 750-1200 depending on what is chosen.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:19 AM
8 Second Club

Probably it. But on that case (alum) you don't just r&r, a case spreading tool is a must if you intend to do it right and it adds to build time. Cast iron case doesn't and is straight-forward if you know all the settings you are after.

What part of LA?

Average basic build is 450 here if you walk the pumpkin in to a decent shop. Nothing special, just r&r. Nice builds are usually 750-1200 depending on what is chosen.
Simi Valley/Moorepark area.
North of Thousand Oaks.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a warning for fellow members. Just too expensive to dump this kind of money and get a troublesome, defective product.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...4#post18023674
Old 06-10-2015, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys,
I've only recently noticed the issues with the GForce 9" kits. I've been planning on purchasing one for some time now. I guess I'll look somewhere else.
2QWK, I've heard great things about your OE rebuilds. And I'd be interested in hearing more about what you can offer for a 800 WHP twin turbo car.
For now, the entire rear is stock. TH400/CF driveshaft.

I'm interested in getting taller gears. I'm not sure if the OEM unit still has the 3.08's available.
What would you recommend for me? I'm only interested in buying the absolute minimum needed parts to achieve a fairly reliable setup.

Good thread BTW, guys. I haven't followed any of the issues lately with certain vendors...
Old 06-10-2015, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
Hey guys,
I've only recently noticed the issues with the GForce 9" kits. I've been planning on purchasing one for some time now. I guess I'll look somewhere else.
2QWK, I've heard great things about your OE rebuilds. And I'd be interested in hearing more about what you can offer for a 800 WHP twin turbo car.

I'm interested in getting taller gears. I'm not sure if the OEM unit still has the 3.08's available.
What would you recommend for me? I'm only interested in buying the absolute minimum needed parts to achieve a fairly reliable setup.

Good thread BTW, guys. I haven't followed any of the issues lately with certain vendors...
I am not a vendor here, I will not discuss selling anything here ou t of respect to paid sponsors. I only wanted to warn everyone because I see the brunt of the fellow owners who get gyp'd.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I understand that, and respect that.

I'm only asking for your experience/recommendations.

I need something with a taller gear because of the TH400. I would like to drive 80 mph on the freeway

I'd be interested in looking into rebuilding my OE Diff as long as there's a gear set out there for it. I don't know if there is.

Spools, once these are installed in the OE diff, does this allow more gear options? Again, I don't know.
I'm asking for guidance, nothing more.
If you or WRP would help point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

It would see the track about 3% of the time, but I'd like to keep everything in one piece and drive home afterwards...
Old 06-12-2015, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand that, and respect that.

I'm only asking for your experience/recommendations.

I need something with a taller gear because of the TH400. I would like to drive 80 mph on the freeway

I'd be interested in looking into rebuilding my OE Diff as long as there's a gear set out there for it. I don't know if there is.

Spools, once these are installed in the OE diff, does this allow more gear options? Again, I don't know.
I'm asking for guidance, nothing more.
If you or WRP would help point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

It would see the track about 3% of the time, but I'd like to keep everything in one piece and drive home afterwards...
You have pm.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

What issues have you heard about? We have 100's of these kits out there all over the world and lots of very happy customers. Feel free to call one of our many LS1tech.com sponsors to discuss your options or to field questions, you can also call us if you choose but we are not a vendor here so we would have to refer you to an LS1tech vendor if you wanted to make a purchase.

I've stayed silent long enough and I'm tired of 2QWK4RU running his mouth..

I'd like to give you a little background on 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT's past on LS1GTO forum.
He talked so much **** that he was perma-banned from the forum. That doesnt happen often but in his case they made an exception.
He did nothing but bad mouth good respectable vendors while talking up his abilities and products without ever being a vendor.
Here is how his typical thread went over there.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...hlight=2qwk4ru

Thanks
Chris
Old 06-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Chris,

Let's be honest though, despite what was said YEARS ago, 2Qwk sure is good about returning calls and getting things done promptly and correct the first time!

No one has a perfect record........
Old 06-15-2015, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GFORCE1320
What issues have you heard about? We have 100's of these kits out there all over the world and lots of very happy customers. Feel free to call one of our many LS1tech.com sponsors to discuss your options or to field questions, you can also call us if you choose but we are not a vendor here so we would have to refer you to an LS1tech vendor if you wanted to make a purchase.

I've stayed silent long enough and I'm tired of 2QWK4RU running his mouth..

I'd like to give you a little background on 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT's past on LS1GTO forum.
He talked so much **** that he was perma-banned from the forum. That doesnt happen often but in his case they made an exception.
He did nothing but bad mouth good respectable vendors while talking up his abilities and products without ever being a vendor.
Here is how his typical thread went over there.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...hlight=2qwk4ru

Thanks
Chris
Tell us about this guy dealing with 4 defective diffs and why you have refused to correct the issue.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735145

Tell everyone how you asked me on several occasions to make parts with you. Should I dig up the screen shots of the e-mails you use to send me. I mean, how bad can I be if you wanna me to make parts for you or with me. Tell me..

How about all the other threads out there about how you've screwed folks over. Shall I provide links? Should I call Eaton or Motive and tell them how many times you've used them as a scapegoat. Their parts have issues but can be installed semi-correctly and work. I've proven this on many of your builds, you and your boy back east just don't know how to set-up diffs. You stopped
Building them recently , very noble of you at this point.

And be clear and honest. I was a paid sponsor and a major threat to vendors based on my abilities and what I could produce, you know this, otherwise, you wouldn't of asked me to make parts with you.

The mods cried and told the site owner that. .. either I go, or they go and let it flush down the toilet. Doesn't matter, they are there now, guy. No one takes mods or that site seriously. This has been an upstanding site and they should learn from the staff here.

I'll be here or there should you need me to expose more truth to what the hard facts are.

You may get your clients to sign a gag order to keep stuff hidden and out of more trouble; you don't have that luxury with me. People work hard for their money, stop screwing them.

PS: get on that 9" refund and don't forget to call lumpy guy and refund him too.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hopefully when he was an engineer for aircraft (so he says), he only worked on the lavatory or toilet design. **** would fall from the sky if he was designing critical components. Come to think of it, no wonder airplane lavatories are always not working.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

ls1gto is a terrible forum! The moderators there kicked me off for disagreeing with one of their posts. A lot of serious inquirerers get kicked off there for no reason. Now I have had personal experience with G-Force products. Particularly bad with the axles. Your splines wore out with only 5000 miles of use. CV joints came loose and caused a great amount of play in the rear.

Now you guys did honor the warranty but after about 3 months of waiting for my new axles to arrive! You guys also have had issues with your rear end kits as well....

this thread has gotten me if anything farther away from deciding what to do with my rear end....
Old 06-16-2015, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ViceCityPerformance
ls1gto is a terrible forum! The moderators there kicked me off for disagreeing with one of their posts. A lot of serious inquirerers get kicked off there for no reason. Now I have had personal experience with G-Force products. Particularly bad with the axles. Your splines wore out with only 5000 miles of use. CV joints came loose and caused a great amount of play in the rear.

Now you guys did honor the warranty but after about 3 months of waiting for my new axles to arrive! You guys also have had issues with your rear end kits as well....

this thread has gotten me if anything farther away from deciding what to do with my rear end....
I totally understand your frustration. I've been there before, along with many others. Build the stock diff correctly and walk away.

As for half shaft, only one other company appears to make them a little better. This is the reason I had designed my own stubs and half shafts. My gforce stubs were so loose, that they fell out of my diff, leaving me stranded. I had to get a flat bed tow home to find out what was wrong with my car.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hi...

Bye...
Old 06-16-2015, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slammin86
Hi...

Bye...
Hey there.. welcome