Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Rust on my GTO

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust on my GTO

Hey guys, I just purchased an 05 GTO about a week ago. I am new to this forum, so this is my first time posting and I hope I am putting this in the right thread section. But anyway, I am a bit concerned of the rust I found under my GTO. I live in California, and the GTO is from Minnesota. What do you guys think? Should I worry? What can be done?
Attached Thumbnails Rust on my GTO-image1.jpg   Rust on my GTO-image2.jpg  
Old 08-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Looks like a normal northern-driven car's undercarriage. Looks similar to the undercarriage of my old Ford Mazda after driving it through four winters in Connecticut. Frankly, unless you're really **** about it, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's going to be a show car and/or you're going to be embarrassed about the rusty underside, you can always go through the expense of taking it all apart and cleaning the rust off or using a rust-converting primer followed by some chassis paint. More than likely, you'll have parted with the car long before undercarriage rust becomes a significant problem.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Buy a set of Rhino ramps, crawl under the car and clean/ use Rust-Oleum satin black on everything. The rust doesn't look too bad, but I'd fix it. One more thing... Scrap the loose undercoating free and apply new under coating in the areas that need it.

Last edited by Jontall; 08-11-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

^ what he said....doesn't look that bad or bad at all.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:45 AM
Staging Lane

Looks fine.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Sell it and find a clean california car in a few years the lower rockers wheel wells and everywhere else down low will start bubble rusting from hidden salt damage. Northern cars suck especially doing suspension work rusted out brake and fuel lines rockers panels and snapped suspension bolts are the norm. We've had a rash of those northern junks through the shop with the oil field bringing them down our way and they are a complete pain in the *** to work on.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Welcome to my world! That's why us northerners try to buy up all the cars from you guys down south and out west! We can sell them at a premium up here!!
Old 08-14-2015, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Sell it and find a clean california car in a few years the lower rockers wheel wells and everywhere else down low will start bubble rusting from hidden salt damage. Northern cars suck especially doing suspension work rusted out brake and fuel lines rockers panels and snapped suspension bolts are the norm. We've had a rash of those northern junks through the shop with the oil field bringing them down our way and they are a complete pain in the *** to work on.
This exactly. The amount of salt Minnesota uses on there roads is massive! Honestly I would not buy a "summer" only car that has seen a Minnesota winter due to what the quoted poster said. The winters are long and the salt gets everywhere underneath. Places you can't even get to.
I drive my t/a May-October the rest of the months they are literally laying salt "preparing" for snow
Old 08-15-2015, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 229 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
We've had a rash of those northern junks through the shop with the oil field bringing them down our way and they are a complete pain in the *** to work on.
Yep.
One of these days, I might wise up and move further south to escape the rust belt.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Budget alternative

Hello I love GTO's man congrats someday I'll have one myself. For now tho its my WS6 lol. However I do have a suggestion for your undercarriage for you. This is a budget way of doing it, but good option in my opinion that I'm happy with.

Supplies: 1. Purplepower/ simple green
2. rags
3. brush
4. plastic walmart brushes
5. Rustoleum oil based paint or equivalent paint I like rustoleum
6. Bucket

What I did on my WS6 was this. In the summer of course . First wash the underneath of the vehicle with purple power or simple green, get some rags and a brush if needed also to get the dirt and grime off. Then what I did was take the car for a ride to help the drying process. Once the vehicle is dried then get yourself some rustoleum oil based paint or equivalent paint, I used smoke gray gloss it was the closest to the factory grey color that was under my black WS6. Then get yourself a pack of plastic bristle cheapy walmart brushes and go to town! For me the oil based paint laid down great and flattened out awesome no brush marks! This has held up for me for a driving season so far April through October (no snow). Hope this helps.

PS lets see the rest of that GTO man!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is 2 pics that I had before I was completely done. Will have to find the others the cars put away at the inlaws house at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails Rust on my GTO-undercar1.jpg   Rust on my GTO-undercar2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rust on my GTO