Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Before you buy a driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Before you buy a driveshaft

If you have not purchased a drive-shaft before I STRONGLY encourage you to thoroughly research the products before you purchase. The #1 most recommended way to go is to put a 1 piece aluminum shaft in the vehicle. If you have a manual vehicle this could end up being a costly mistake. I personally do not care how many people recommend or talk about how great these shafts were for them. Because there are a percentage that wont enjoy there experience and I believe that now having it, others have shared there draw backs also. I am not saying that the product is poor, I purchased a drive shaft shop 1 piece thru Kollar racing and the shipping was fast, product came in tact, but if it generates harmonics you are stuck with that shaft. I was told over the phone (from drive shaft shop) that if it vibrates or causes any problems that it could be returned "no problems".. Well that is until there is a problem, pay the extra money and get a 2 piece shaft or carbon fiber. This is not to bash them because I feel they do make a great product, but anyone looking in the future may say them $$$ and headache of a runaround.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The harmonics occur because the factory did not pay attention to driveline angles. The two piece shaft removes the need for proper angles. If you have a vibration problem, get a digital angle finder with a magnet base. Take the driveshaft off. Measure the angle of the diff yoke, lets say it is 1.5 degrees up. Make the tailshaft of the trans 1.5 degrees down. Now the angles are parallel and the tailshaft to diff are about 1 1/2" offset so that gives you movement in the U joints. That should take care of the harmonics. Worked for me.

Last edited by dw456post; 03-25-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dw456post
The harmonics occur because the factory did not pay attention to driveline angles. The two piece shaft removes the need for proper angles. If you have a vibration problem, get a digital angle finder with a magnet base. Take the driveshaft off. Measure the angle of the diff yoke, lets say it is 1.5 degrees up. Make the tailshaft of the trans 1.5 degrees down. Now the angles are parallel and the tailshaft to diff are about 1 1/2" offset so that gives you movement in the U joints. That should take care of the harmonics. Worked for me.
this is a good explanation. thanks.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran a Gforce 1 pc Aluminum in my YJ with no issues. Running a DSS 2 pc Steel shaft in my current 06, no issues. I see no problems...
Old 03-25-2016, 06:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have not yet seen a good reason to change from the factory driveshaft.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyno Junkie
they seem to be pretty strong. unless it saves weight i see no benefit.

now half shafts is another story.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 272 Likes on 178 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Dyno Junkie
Aside from eliminating the shitty rubber joints?

Quick Reply: Before you buy a driveshaft