Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2004 gto serious problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you can get a misfire just from a bad 02 senser?will it run better if i just take them off?
Old 09-21-2016, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the help blackbat23!
Old 09-21-2016, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

have you scanned for codes? No, you can not just remove o2 sensors. Well, you can remove the rears, but you will need to turn them off = tune required.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Teching In

The code is po174
Old 09-21-2016, 10:09 PM
Teching In

So o2 sensers can really cause this much trouble?ive never had a 02 senser cause this much trouble even in my lexus back in the day. I dont know if this matters but when the cel is on when you get on the gas it dumps smoke out the pipes not heavy but if someones behind me i can see smoke from there head lights being close to my goats *** lol
Old 09-21-2016, 10:13 PM
Teching In

So should i check all 4 o2 sensers for damage?i dont want to buy them unless i really have to because i allready spent 500 on trying to fix this ****
Old 09-21-2016, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gtorider510
The code is po174

Some info I found in my workshop manual:
Code PO174 is Right Bank Lean. Long Term Fuel Trim.
Fuel Trim corrects any variations between the right & left bank of cylinders. This code will be set if the right bank is running lean for any longer than 6 seconds.
Possible Causes:
Faulty spark plugs
Faulty injectors or leaking injector O'rings
Inlet manifold not sealing correctly
Exhaust manifold leaks...gasket not sealing correctly
Poor connections at O2 sensors
Seeing as you have already cleaned your MAF and replaced the spark plugs and checked the plug leads... I would be looking at maybe a faulty O2 sensor first that may be causing the issue.
I cannot guarantee that this will solve your problem, but hopefully it will give you somewhere to start looking.
Hopefully you will find this info of some help and you get it sorted

Last edited by Tonner Matt; 09-21-2016 at 11:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-22-2016, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So should i check all 4 o2 sensers for damage?i dont want to buy them unless i really have to because i allready spent 500 on trying to fix this ****

I recently bought all four GM brand at rockauto and spent $230
Old 09-22-2016, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned by a few, the 02 sensors, more specifically the front 02 sensors compensate for rich/lean conditions. If they sense that it is lean they will command rich so your motor does not go lean and burn up, you will smell raw gas. Check the wiring for condition. The 02 sensors are threaded into the exhaust pipes, one set before the cats and one set after the cats on each side. You are more concerned with the before cats, they are the ones that control fuel, the after cats just monitor the cats basically.
Get the front ones checked. Also, you can hold the MODE and SET down buttons at the same time and then turn the ignition key on without starting the motor and a hidden menu will come up in the drivers instrument cluster, scroll up/down until you see the trouble codes...

Buzz
Old 09-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Teching In

So i had a new shop look at it and they say its a sticky valve.They said the whole head needs to come off to replace it.Im really fucked now because im out of money pretty much.Is there anyway i can free up the sticky valve without removing the whole head?Any input would b great at this point.Bad day for the goat forsure.��
Old 09-22-2016, 08:28 PM
Teching In

It took them 2 whole work days to find this problem is that usual? I dont really trust this new shop i only took it there because my freinds shop couldn't diagnose the problem.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:26 PM
Teching In

The old plugs were white which im pretty sure means running lean

This other workshop says you have a sticky valve ? How can 1 sticky valve cause a whole bank to run lean ?
The fault code PO174 indicates that the whole bank is running lean, this is why all your spark plugs looked white at the tips when you replaced them.
In your first post you said the vehicle was running rough when you came to a stop, but not every time. So it is only doing this intermittently. O2 sensors can cause all this to happen when they start playing up.
As someone else posted, the front 2 sensors basically help control your lean/rich running condition and the rear 2 just monitor the gases exiting the cats
I would replace the front O2 sensors before going any further.

And I would be picking up my car from that workshop A.S.A.P

Last edited by Tonner Matt; 09-22-2016 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Add Info
Old 09-23-2016, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Ok so tomorrow morning im taking it out of this skeeming *** shop and replacing the 2 front o2 sensers.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Also p0300 is coming up for multiple random misfires
Old 09-23-2016, 12:47 AM
Teching In

MI didnt know o2 sensers were that big of a deal a few of you guys have mentioned it so i guess ill b swaping out 02s tomorrow a.m.If the valve was sticking would it b constantly running shitty?instead of coming and going?This will be a huge relieve if its just a simple fix.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Id tend to agree with TM that if you had a sticking valve you would likely have some other issues along with current problems. Pulling the head for a sticking valve is kind of a guess play technically if an intake valve was stuck open you get a lean mixture issue, but at that point you could also have valve slap which then you would have way more problems.

Im thinking you have an electrical issue and your O2's are likely a symptom but not the cause. you said you measured your coils and got correct voltage, were you measureing output during drive cycle or just resistance with no power?

I would take the bank 2 beauty cover off so you can see coil wiring. put the car in a garage or do this at night, leave the cover off and let the car run and look at the wiring around the coils. you may be able to see an arc. I think you may be experiencing a voltage drop at idle causing it to run like rich. This might explain why it goes away at higher speed as the command pulse's increase per millisecond it levels out a bit.

are you clearing the code or is it clearing itself? It takes quite a while for the ECM to narrow down the correct cylinder for a missfire.....the logic for that goes random multiple issfire....bank # multiple misfire....then it can narrow down exact cylinder but its several hundred counts between each logic. but before it even begins acknowledging the misfure it starts with the p0174 code. this is why its important not to immediately clear codes.

I remember a guy with a camaro i think having a similar issue and it ended up being the bulk harness for the coil pack on the passenger side. over time it had rubbed against the back of the cylinder head and worn down the shielding. (the only reason he caught it he was working on it in a dimly lit area and saw the arcing in the engine bay)
Old 09-23-2016, 01:52 PM
Teching In

So i took it out of the shop that wants 2500 to fix it and i went back to my freinds shop and ran a really good treatment to blow all the carbon build out its called mighty auto parts vs7 syntramax complete fuel system cleaner. Anyone ever use this treatment and have any luck? Its a 2 step process the first goes into the intake hose that's connected to the brake booster and the second is a bottle u pour into a full tank of gas. When he was doing step 1 lots of **** was coming out the tailpipes apparently its carbon build up from the engine.its pretty much my last hope right now it was 80 dallors. I told him about the 02s and he said they wouldnt be causing all these problems and its rare for 2 to go out at once.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Ive had both engine covers off for awhile now they ride in the trunk lol but anyway i will check the coil wiring harness tonight when its dark there r 2 right?.one on each set of 4 coils correct? No i dont clear the codes with the scanner they go away eventually by its self. Apparently cylinder 6 is the one with a sticky valve my mechanic pointed out the noise it makes somtimes when we were standing under the hood with the engine on doing the treatment. Its not constant it comes and goes and its only at idle.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:18 PM
Teching In

So i took it out of the shop that wants 2500 to fix it and i went back to my freinds shop and ran a really good treatment to blow all the carbon build out its called mighty auto parts vs7 syntramax complete fuel system cleaner. Anyone ever use this treatment and have any luck? Its a 2 step process the first goes into the intake hose that's connected to the brake booster and the second is a bottle u pour into a full tank of gas. When he was doing step 1 lots of **** was coming out the tailpipes apparently its carbon build up from the engine.its pretty much my last hope right now it was 80 dallors. I told him about the 02s and he said they wouldnt be causing all these problems and its rare for 2 to go out at once.
It wouldn't be two seperate o2 sensors that are bad. You have 4 total o2 sensors. See below for an illustration.

What we are saying is that 1 (one) pre-cat (front) o2 sensor on the bank side that is reporting lean might be bad. If you can physically hear a miss though, then you could have a combination of things. We're all just armchairing it here, if you're friend has a shop, then use it and see if you can do the work yourself.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Teching In

The computer has narrowed down the problem to cylinder 6 multiple missfires. This guy wants 2500 but im sure my freind will do it cheaper but anyway you can also hear it with the hood up and the engine on its like a ticking that comes and goes.

Quick Reply: 2004 gto serious problem