Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

In DESPERATE need of your guys help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 04:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy In DESPERATE need of your guys help

I will try and make this as short as possible. I have had my 04 GTO for a little over 3 years. I Have always had the occasional problem where the gas tank is full but reads 7/8th's, radio volume at a stop will go up real high then come right back down, speedometer will show I'm going 140mph, 160mph etc when I hit the gas when really only going 25-30. Right before I put it into storage I got a new one. My IPC read engine temperature hot and the needle spiked. I hadn't been driving for any longer than a couple of blocks and it was also cold outside. Turned it off, started it back up and it went away. When in storage I like to start my car every 2-3 weeks or so. 2nd start up of the winter it wouldn't fully turn over. IPC started reading Air Bag fault, fuel gauge error, engine temperature hot. Brand new battery. My friend who is a mechanic load tested the battery and it was totally fine. Simply left it disconnected then until it was time to start it up for a bit. ALL of these things point to a bad BCM or the wire rub. We took the glove box out, unwrapped the tape to look at the wires, took a really good look at them and they were all fine. Not even a single scratch on any wire. My friend and I started checking fuses and the 30 amp radiator fan fuse was blown. Went and got a new one, put it in, get home 10 minutes later to look at it and it's fried. Finally I took it to a dealership. They said my IPC was bad and had checked the BCM and it was fine. They apparently ignored what I said about the fuse and just replaced my IPC. I went up there with a new fuse and when I put it in the passenger door wouldn't unlock. Take it out, it unlocks just fine. The mechanic got in the car with the fuse out, turned the car over to where the radio would come on and my Dad and I clear as day could hear a short. A fast clicking sound. It would do this everytime we would turn the key over. What in God's name is wrong with my car and where could this possible short be? I'm begging you guys to help me because I am honestly ready to just sell it. It has become quite the money pit since February of 2014.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Did you check the fan relay? Fast clicking sounds like a relay. Unplug the fan harness and see if it keeps doing it. Maybe you have a bad fan motor that's overloading the fuse?
Old 04-16-2017, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I am uncertain about the short. But, it is unrelated to the other matters. 04 GTOs were recalled years ago for software clitches. These clitches caused the erratic gauge behavior you experienced. Take it to the dealer. That repair is on GM. I doubt if the short is computer related.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot for the responses guys. The dealership wanted to hold onto the car, so I will relay these messages to them tomorrow. Weird thing about the software update... I mentioned it to them and they seemed to have absolutely no idea about that update. So should I expect this cluster to have the same glitches?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Well just got word from the dealership. One of the fans was completely seized. Almost $650.00. Guess that's why they call them stealerships. I'm just really hoping now this was on the same circuit as my door lock and that's the reason it wouldn't unlock when the fuse was in. Thanks for the responses you two. Much appreciated.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Check Rockauto.com. They carry many GTO parts and are cheaper. Good luck.
BTW, that GTO service bulletin was back in 2005. Still, it should have been available to the dealer through via computer.

Quick Reply: In DESPERATE need of your guys help