Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Does anyone know any tricks I can pull to beat an 03 vette with my 04 gto?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headders And Cam Should Do It Easily
Old 04-16-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
Your gonna have to launch at 4000 and powershift at 5200-5400rpm. By powershift I mean wide open throttle and shift with your foot to the floor, if you shift any higher then 5400 you will go over 6200+rpm in the next gear, may hit the rev limiter and slow you down. practice powershifting. Be carefull not to miss 3rd gear! I used to aim for 5th gear till I got the ripshift
I was powershifting at 6200 when i first took the car to the track and never tagged the limiter. I found better times shifting between 6000 and 6100. Next time i will start shifting at 5700 and move up until i start going slower. How will shifting at 5400 cause him to go over 6200 in the next gear?

Bang those gears like a two dollar hooker!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Livin La Vida Goat

Un-plug 3 of his spark plug wires!

We all know thats the only way a stock GTO will beat a vett!
Old 04-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Well, despite all the advice I got beat pretty good by the 'vette - I didn't try the headlight trick. It was my first time on the track and I must say it ain't as easy as it would seem. Getting that GTO to hook up when the light hit was quite a challenge. When my stock tires are trashed I'm going to look into folding the fenders and getting some 275's back there.

There were a few other goats out that day - noone fared much better and the concensus was that noone could get decent traction off the line.

I'm thinking that a useful mod would be to relocate the traction control button to a trigger-style switch on the front of the shift ****. Take the hit on HP during the launch to get it rolling, and then immediately kill the TractionControl at about 3/4k rpm in 1st gear and leave it off for the rest of the run (assuming there's no delay between hitting the switch and the TC actually turning off).
Old 04-18-2005, 06:13 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skelly
Well, despite all the advice I got beat pretty good by the 'vette - I didn't try the headlight trick. It was my first time on the track and I must say it ain't as easy as it would seem. Getting that GTO to hook up when the light hit was quite a challenge. When my stock tires are trashed I'm going to look into folding the fenders and getting some 275's back there.

There were a few other goats out that day - noone fared much better and the concensus was that noone could get decent traction off the line.

I'm thinking that a useful mod would be to relocate the traction control button to a trigger-style switch on the front of the shift ****. Take the hit on HP during the launch to get it rolling, and then immediately kill the TractionControl at about 3/4k rpm in 1st gear and leave it off for the rest of the run (assuming there's no delay between hitting the switch and the TC actually turning off).
No offense, but everything you said is dead wrong....
1.) ALWAYS turn off traction control when racing (or driving for that matter)...there is NO WAY TO MAKE IT WORK FOR RACING!!!

2.) Don't mess with the fenders, you can get a 275 Nitto drag radial on back with no problems...its not the size of the tire, its the compound that makes it hook...

3.) practice is the main thing in launching and getting good times. What is the time slip like...60', 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, and speed...?

4.) Your not going to beat a newer vette without mods, given equal drivers.

5.) If you mod you GTO, do the stuff that actuall makes power...and thats proven....150 wet shot, Cam/heads, etc. The blowers aren't all that proven yet.

Hope this helps...

SDB
Old 04-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SDB
No offense, but everything you said is dead wrong....
1.) ALWAYS turn off traction control when racing (or driving for that matter)...there is NO WAY TO MAKE IT WORK FOR RACING!!!

2.) Don't mess with the fenders, you can get a 275 Nitto drag radial on back with no problems...its not the size of the tire, its the compound that makes it hook...

3.) practice is the main thing in launching and getting good times. What is the time slip like...60', 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, and speed...?

4.) Your not going to beat a newer vette without mods, given equal drivers.

5.) If you mod you GTO, do the stuff that actuall makes power...and thats proven....150 wet shot, Cam/heads, etc. The blowers aren't all that proven yet.

Hope this helps...

SDB
"Dead Wrong" may be a bit harsh of a term.

While you may or may not be right about the traction control, I'm not sure if you read correctly. Everyone who has read anything in the GTO section knows that the TC robs power - I'm certainly not doubting that. However, when I was at the track, anyone in a GTO who did anything other than baby the car for the first 20 or so feet wound up sitting there, motionless, spinning their tires on the starting line. At least with the TC you get as much acceleration as possible in that first second off the line. This of course, will kill your overall time if you leave it on. The theory was that if you could use the TC for max power until you're rolling - I'm talking about 20-30 feet, then shut it down, you might do OK because it won't rob you of power as you hit the hard acceleration portion of your powerband as you run through the gears. If there's any appreciable delay between hitting the button and the TC actually disengaging, then my little idea is null and void.

And 275's in the back would just look cooler. Traction was a big factor in the corvette's beating me - it's a friend of mine and it was his first time at the track, too. He's not some superb, experienced quarter mile driver, and it was his Dad's corvette, so he hadn't really had much experience in the car. He launched pretty hard when that light hit; I think that had something to do with those 275's he had on back.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't need any traction control to help me cut 2.0's. Several individuals have cut sub 1.9's on the stock rubber, TC off. I'm shooting for 1.9's myself the next time i go out.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

given equal driver...STOCK VS STOCK... you cant beat it.....
Old 04-20-2005, 04:39 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

dead wrong was the right term.......GET THE IDEA OF USING TC AS A RACING AID OUT OF YOUR HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it will not work, what you need is practice, plain and simple. I cut 2.0 on stock tires first time out easily...but I drag race a lot on the street and am used to driving a car out of the hole. Just get some Nitto DR's on there at 25 psi and practice...be prepared to buy a new clutch after a little while if your practicing a lot....a buddy of ine just spent thousands on his clutch, tranny due to abuse (8,000 miles in one summer, mostly racing), BUT he got the the point where he could cut 1.70 short times on stock Goodyear F1 tires on his 2002 Z06 vette....making power costs money, practicing costs money, geting the most of a stock combination costs money (broken parts).....

You will never beat the vette given fairly equal drivers without some serious mods...so get busy moddin'!!!! Throw a 150 shot on it and beat him by 6 cars with easy shifting.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SDB
dead wrong was the right term.......GET THE IDEA OF USING TC AS A RACING AID OUT OF YOUR HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it will not work, what you need is practice, plain and simple. I cut 2.0 on stock tires first time out easily...but I drag race a lot on the street and am used to driving a car out of the hole. Just get some Nitto DR's on there at 25 psi and practice...be prepared to buy a new clutch after a little while if your practicing a lot....a buddy of ine just spent thousands on his clutch, tranny due to abuse (8,000 miles in one summer, mostly racing), BUT he got the the point where he could cut 1.70 short times on stock Goodyear F1 tires on his 2002 Z06 vette....making power costs money, practicing costs money, geting the most of a stock combination costs money (broken parts).....

You will never beat the vette given fairly equal drivers without some serious mods...so get busy moddin'!!!! Throw a 150 shot on it and beat him by 6 cars with easy shifting.

You're right - I should just throw money at the problem & leave the creativity & innovation to someone else.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:21 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

wel, yes in a nutshell....there is NO aount of creativity that will let you use factory TC to enhance drag strip performance....and you will not win against a car that has the same motor/tranny/gearing (mostly) AND has 500+lbs less weight, better traction, and better aerodynamics....not trying to be mean, but your gonna waste a lot of time on creativity when a $1000 in mods will *** rape the vette...just my .02...

SDB
Old 04-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SDB
wel, yes in a nutshell....there is NO aount of creativity that will let you use factory TC to enhance drag strip performance....and you will not win against a car that has the same motor/tranny/gearing (mostly) AND has 500+lbs less weight, better traction, and better aerodynamics....not trying to be mean, but your gonna waste a lot of time on creativity when a $1000 in mods will *** rape the vette...just my .02...

SDB
In the latter posts I was speaking more to improving traction than to beating 'vettes.

Based on your unflappable confidence, I assume then that you have tried it in the way I sugested? Have you taken your goat to a real race track and tried using TC for the 1st second of your run and then turned it off w/o affecting your shift? I was looking for a reply from someone who had done this, or at least someone who could at least lend some more meaningful insight than 'a vette is lighter' or 'get a nitrous kit'.

I'd have taken "it probably won't work" as an answer and replied with a 'thank you', but when people use the term 'dead wrong' and then don't go into specifics as to why... ..the term 'armchair quarterback' comes to mind.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Problem with using T/C is the serious down turn in power that comes into play. All the timing is pulled on the engine side of the T/C. It takes a little while before you are back into full timing again negating any help that it would have given to begin with.

Takes practice, but learning how to launch will be the best thing for ET. Took me 4 trips to the track to figure out how to cut sub 2.0 times. Now with Nittos, I'm learning all over again...
Old 04-23-2005, 11:20 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by skelly
In the latter posts I was speaking more to improving traction than to beating 'vettes.

Based on your unflappable confidence, I assume then that you have tried it in the way I sugested? Have you taken your goat to a real race track and tried using TC for the 1st second of your run and then turned it off w/o affecting your shift? I was looking for a reply from someone who had done this, or at least someone who could at least lend some more meaningful insight than 'a vette is lighter' or 'get a nitrous kit'.

I'd have taken "it probably won't work" as an answer and replied with a 'thank you', but when people use the term 'dead wrong' and then don't go into specifics as to why... ..the term 'armchair quarterback' comes to mind.
I have a low 12 second 2004 GTO and a 10 second 2000 Camaro...I go to the track and race on the street every chance I get. I use a GTECH to see how the street is in terms of changes I make to the launch or parts. I have been doing this since 1990, and recently sold a LPE 383 vette that ran 10's as well....if you want to waste your time ******* with TCS, go right ahead, just trying to sace you some time. have fun looking at the rear end of vettes, camaros, TA's, and lots of other newer cars...
Old 04-23-2005, 06:15 PM
10 Second Club

some cheap mods would be some type of cold air kit,not sure what they offer for a GTO but there has to be something better than stock to direct air into the airbox, bypass the power steering -just for the track, it only takes about 3 min. to change a belt . Drop tire psi. down to 15 and leave off idle. Stock tires will just spin if you try to leave to hard.Before I did H&C I just had bolt on's and gears ,tires and would spank any stock Z06 I lined up with. A sticky set of tires would be a great start for now, or you could always just stick to the street. If you start going to the track you will get hooked and addicted to hooking up your car and end up spending thousands so you should think that over
Old 04-25-2005, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SDB
wel, yes in a nutshell....there is NO aount of creativity that will let you use factory TC to enhance drag strip performance....

I have pulled sub 1.9 sec 60' times numerous times on the stock rubber, TCS doesn't work for launching the car fastest, period.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:16 AM
Launching!

Challenge him to a relay style race. Let him beat you to the other end, and when he does the u-turn to come back, get in his lane and floor it. He will hesitate for a moment, then he will swerve off the road and into someone's yard. You will then have an easy win on your hands.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Teching In

In the hot tropics in north Australia some dry ice in the air box works, don't know agout the temperature there, good luck.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by redvpsenator
In the hot tropics in north Australia some dry ice in the air box works, don't know agout the temperature there, good luck.
Come again? that sounds like it might just be crazy enough to be functional!
Old 04-29-2005, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Just an FYI - If his vette is close to stock, it's probably running 13.2-13.6...so VS a GTO you might actually have a chance if you drive right. I've pulled pretty hard on some C5 Vettes in my WS6 (when it just had an intake and exhaust) at the track and on the street. If it is a Z06 or C6, expect to lose unless he is a bad driver or you do some mods like nitrous.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know any tricks I can pull to beat an 03 vette with my 04 gto?