Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

help w/ spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help w/ spark plug wires

is there some damn secret to getting the spark plug wire boot and heat shield off of the plug itself???? trying to uninstall everything for the header install on friday and i just have the manifolds left to take off.... i cant get a good grip on the boot to pull it off the spark plug and on one i accidentally pulled right on the wire and the rubber insulation came off....so now i need new wires which i was gonna get anyway :-) but i still need to get the old wires off
Old 05-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Banned

Well whener i took the boot off the spark plug i moved it back and forth. I didnt pull on it. I got MSD ignition wires that work just fine
Old 05-14-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 5.0to5.7
is there some damn secret to getting the spark plug wire boot and heat shield off of the plug itself???? .... i cant get a good grip on the boot to pull it off the spark plug and on one i accidentally pulled right on the wire and the rubber insulation came off....so now i need new wires which i was gonna get anyway :-) but i still need to get the old wires off
Secret is Patience. I put some mechanic gloves on and move it back and fourth and pulled from the boot. MSD 8.5 are easier to pull off then stock wires. I know you pain I DID THE SAME THING. Be patient

Originally Posted by Redls2gto
Well whener i took the boot off the spark plug i moved it back and forth. I didnt pull on it. I got MSD ignition wires that work just fine
Same thing here but i pulled the boot and took my time
Old 05-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Ok well i got them off but actually had to get them all from underneath the car with a flathead screw driver....i placed it in between the head and the ?metal heat shield? that was on the boot and just twisted the screw just slightly and it popped off enough for me to pull it off from the top... my next question is i ordered MSD wires and i was wondering you guys with the MSD's did you reuse those metal shields that went over all the stock boots? i would really hate to have to use them again.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I reused the metal boots on my MSD wires, but it's probably not required.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 5.0to5.7
my next question is i ordered MSD wires and i was wondering you guys with the MSD's did you reuse those metal shields that went over all the stock boots? i would really hate to have to use them again.
No i didn't reuse them it's not necessary

Quick Reply: help w/ spark plug wires