Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Accusump Install Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accusump Install Pics

I was going to post these pictures in another thread that was already going, but there were so many that I just decided to start a new one...

I've got an LS1 swapped into a miata chassis, and it is a dedicated race car. I have an Improved Racing baffle in the modified F-Body pan (modified to clear the steering rack), but I wasn't satisfied that this was enough for the track once I get some downforce through aero mods and some 275 Hoosiers. So, I decided to install a 3qt Accusump as insurance. Even if the baffle does it's job perfectly, I've still got the benefits of having oil pressure on startup.

After talking with the folks at Canton, we decided on an EPC (electric switch) with a 20/25psi pressure switch to open/close the valve. The EPC is engerized with the ignition switch (there's no key on the car - just an ignition switch and then a starter button).

We decided to put the Accusump in the trunk for better weight distribution (the other option was inside the front bumper cover). This introduced the complication of having to bring an oil line forward. We decided to go through the passenger compartment.

We also decided to put the relatively complex Tee fitting that brings together the oil cooler return line (with 1-way check valve) the accusump and the return line to the engine all together in the engine bay on the passenger side rather than trying to stuff it down near the oil pan. There just wasn't room without ugly bends and limited access. This also led to longer hose runs, but I think the install is clean and the fittings all accessible (and visible!) for easy inspection and adjustment if they leak.

We are using the Lingenfelter plate - what a beautiful piece of machining! It has AN10 fittings and a spot for the oil temp sender. We had to do some custom maching on that port, though, because the autometer sender is just slightly smaller than the hole on the lingenfelter plate.

Here are some pics. I'm running the car for the first time since this install in two days. I'll report back how it goes.

Looking up at the Lingenfelter plate. You can see how it fits under the headers. I put some heat wrap around the headers here to try and keep some heat off the oil lines.

Here's the Accusump mounted in the miata trunk using the mounting straps from Canton.

Here's the EPC and the pressure switch (and the 90 degree fitting) coming off the Accusump.

Here's the line coming forward through the firewall. You can see the Tee plumbing here.

This is a close up of the Tee, checkvalve and other fittings. This is in the engine compartment on the passenger side.

Lastly, here are the hoses coming from in front of the rad under the car and up to the Lingenfelter plate.

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

Cheers,

Dean
Old 04-07-2010, 04:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good looking package. Neat, tidy and clean install.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very very nice install.

Quick Reply: Accusump Install Pics