Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

question bout LT1's road racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Staging Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question bout LT1's road racing

hi guys, im looking to buy a Lt1 camaro and turn it into a road racer (live 5 mins from a road course) i got a few questions

1. do lt1's make a good enough powerband to road race?
2. does the extra weight from the block make the car handel worse compared to the ls1?
3. anyone who has, or ever did road race a lt1 car can you give your opinion on how they handle, what parts you recomend for a beginer road racer?
Old 06-18-2010, 05:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blkjck
hi guys, im looking to buy a Lt1 camaro and turn it into a road racer (live 5 mins from a road course) i got a few questions

1. do lt1's make a good enough powerband to road race?
2. does the extra weight from the block make the car handel worse compared to the ls1?
3. anyone who has, or ever did road race a lt1 car can you give your opinion on how they handle, what parts you recomend for a beginer road racer?
Been RR an LT1 since 05 in NASA's CMC series ...

1. The power is all down low and I shift at 5200.

2. Yes. the 50-75lb difference on the nose is significant. But, a lightened F-Car can be made to handle very well regardless.

3. Varies by individual taste. The parts needed to handle are solid bearing chassis pick-up points, decent shocks and what many consider insane spring rates, sway bars and wheel spacers.

Between UMI and Global West, the only flexible joint on my car is the front, upper control arm.

I have come DOWN to 750 in/lb front springs and 250 in/lb rear springs and use Unbalanced Engineering's race shocks valved for my car's spring rate and curb weight.

By rule, I can only use 4th gen OEM sway bars.

I have wheel spacers ranging from 1/16" to 1/2" to tune with track width.

I accumulated all this over 5 years of "playing around" and your specific needs will vary considerably. I've never been a fan of "what works for me will make you God".

Everyone is different.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Staging Troll

ok thanks, im not going to be racing in any classes tho, just test'n'tune, "flat out days" and just have fun around the track..and i guess when the cars done i should have it dynoed to see where the max power is so i know where to shift (and set up a shift light)?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blkjck
ok thanks, im not going to be racing in any classes tho, just test'n'tune, "flat out days" and just have fun around the track.
Don't discount racing in a class.

Beyond the increased safety gear requirement (which you really do need) being able to tap into what your peers are doing for springs, shocks, sways, brakes tire pressures, etc., etc., etc. is a huge bonus.

The paddock in the road racing world is almost opposite what you typically experience at a drag racing event. Competitors help competitors routinely.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

If you are a beginner, you need nothing for the first couple of trackdays. Then it will be brakes(c5 conversion) then call Sam Strano(Stranoparts.com) Then you will graduate to a good tire WAY down the road. Stay on a street tire as long as you can....they give you good warning.

Leave the engine alone.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Staging Troll

yeah id stay on streets. for a while, i dont like track tires. my driving style is on the seat of my pants enought to make tony stewert scream like a girl lol so stickies wont do and i dont think im going 4th gen, im deadlocked at 3rd gen, 4th gen, fiero, and 240sx lol

Quick Reply: question bout LT1's road racing