Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Best seats and steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best seats and steering wheel.

After lapping the nurburgring faster in a rented Renault Clio than in my formula, I have decided, to work on the driver interface mods.

What do you guys recommend for seats that are light, and supportive, and a good steering wheel?
Thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

seats and wheel are all subjective to the user. I personally like Cobra seats (I use a Sebring Pro in my Camaro when I go to the track). They are FIA rated and there cheapest ones are made from materials that many other brands use only in their high end seats..
Old 09-08-2011, 05:02 AM
Launching!

Is there a good place to see what type of seats will fit in the f-body, and the same for steering wheels?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

any seat will fit. youll just have to put the seat to sliders or whatever kind of brackets youll use in the car. most race seat will come with just the seat, nothing else. some may have an option for 'universal sliders' or some kind of mounting brackets.

do you have a full race seat, fixed back/5pt compatible, or a dual purpose street/race seat, like arizens.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

What you also need to look at is if it is a full containment seat is it going to interfere with your windows rolling up/down. Almost every seat company has seat dimensions on their website. Find local race shops that sell seats and sit in the ones you like
Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phoenix64
After lapping the nurburgring faster in a rented Renault Clio than in my formula, I have decided, to work on the driver interface mods.

What do you guys recommend for seats that are light, and supportive, and a good steering wheel?
Thanks
I'm running Corbeau LG1 seats and have been very happy with them. I'm also in Germany and the seats keep me from sliding around at speed.

BTW, I'm going to "the ring" in a couple weeks. I'll post back with my $0.02.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Just to put in my ideas and experience... I bought a cheaper set of seats trying to save money. They're true race seats but on the lower line for this company. The problem I have with them is they are a tubular frame seat. So after a track session the two bars that come down my sides have some serious pressure points. The "lumbar" bars are taking all of the side forces in a 2 inch square area. Making my sides very sore at the end of a weekend. When I buy a replacement seat it WILL be a full shell seat. Even the aluminum Ultra Shield seats with minimal padding are more comfortable than what I have now. Whatever you decide to go with I highly recommend sitting in it for a bit before you pay.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I've been looking for seats lately. These are looking pretty good to me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120699031202...84.m1423.l2649
Old 10-17-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really? A carbon fiber seat for only $945 a pair?
This definitely falls into the too good to be true category.

Without an upper seat back brace, the seat will snap in half unless its FIA rated.

This is a real carbon fiber seat
http://www.saferacer.com/sparco-pro-...productid=2151

Little bit of a price difference.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

Yep. They don't seem to have any rating. While not a problem on a passenger car, if you plan to run the car in any organized events, those seats may not pass tech.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Seats were the best modification I made on my previous track car. I highly recommend finding a place to sit in a few.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seats and a new steering wheel were high up on my priority list when i first got my car.

I have used Sparco Torinos that are Incredible! I got them for an extremely good price and i couldnt be happier with them

As for my steering wheel, i managed to find a used grant signature series wheel. similar to this but mines more thick
Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

I really want a seat but I'm hesitant to buy any. Once I bought a set of seats and found my head bearly touching the ceiling and sitting in a very awkward position. I would try them out first or at least people providing feedback should mention their height.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I really want a seat but I'm hesitant to buy any. Once I bought a set of seats and found my head bearly touching the ceiling and sitting in a very awkward position. I would try them out first or at least people providing feedback should mention their height.
To change to a supportive seat, you have to abandon the notion of it being adjustable or have rear seat access.

Adaptors to mount to the factory mounts and then the actual seat mounts to the adaptors and then the actual seat ... it adds up and you will be sitting 2-4" higher.

For our cars, I weld in 1/4-20 bungs into thick-wall square tubing, cut the factory floor studs off, notch the factory mounting channels, weld in the tubing into the notches made in the floor and then mount the seat to the square tubing.

This gives a lot of head room for a helmet and even a blower vent mounted in the top of the helmet.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Teching In

I love love love love this steering wheel. It is smaller than stock in circumference and has better feel in the hands. http://www.momousa.com/products/prod...ing-wheel.html

Quick Reply: Best seats and steering wheel.