Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Power steering vs manual rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering vs manual rack

Hey,

I wanted to see what some of you have to say about manual vs power steering racks as far as street driving and road course driving.

Personally I have used both and felt I got way better feedback from the manual rack compared to the over-assisted rack in the same car. I could tell when I was at the limit and starting to understeer or not pushing hard enough compared to the power setup.

Perhaps different racks and valving could have helped the power rack but I am not sure.

Does anyone know how the C5 power racks are for this? My comparison was in a Mustang, one with a manual quick ratio and one with a full power setup.

The manual rack is nice because you have no pump, lines, and fluid weight... but sucked in tight parking lots (only a fraction of the time I would drive anyways so I didnt care)
Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah generally manual racks are way better for feel. just depends if you can live with it lol
Old 08-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Teching In

When trying to save a car in snap oversteer or spin you need to turn the steering wheel fast, really fast! Having power steering really helps in a big car with wide tires.

Also it depends on if your racing. I once had an 81 firebird road race car with a manual box and 12 wide front slicks. By the end of a 30 minute race I would be getting cramps in my forearms.

Racing racks and be adjusted to varying amounts of assist so driver feel should not a problem
Old 08-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

I have a C5 power rack or Flaming River manual rack. I heard the C5 is pretty over-assisted so maybe I can play with lowering the pump flow to stop giving so much assist?

Snap oversteer the car usually turns itself to correct if you have enough caster.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Freda
Also it depends on if your racing. I once had an 81 firebird road race car with a manual box and 12 wide front slicks. By the end of a 30 minute race I would be getting cramps in my forearms.
Ouch. Do that a few times a year, and your arms will look like Popeye's. I put a Turn-One pump in my 81, combined with an under-drive crank pulley and replacing the rag joint with a U-joint. The result is very good road feel. The pump and pulley approach can also be done on a rack-and pinion car.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

I may just go with a flow restriction fitting with the stock vette pump. I do not have the *speed sense* hooked up so I need to mechanically alter the pressure valves unfortunately... or manual rack.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Teching In

You might also want to call the guys at MTI racing in Marietta GA. They road race and sell parts for corvettes and I'm sure they can tell you exactly what you should do.

Quick Reply: Power steering vs manual rack