Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Looking to start a new project

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to start a new project

Right now I'm buttoning up my trans am and making a final push to hit my goal with it. After that I plan to just enjoy it as a quick street/strip car. That being said it's time to start planning a new project, something different.

I'm in the works of picking up a 93 camaro roller. The plan there is going to be a street car that I can run at track days and auto cross events. Something that's going to just be a fun car all around. Problem is I've auto crossed once. It was 10 years ago with an automatic and drag radials just for the hell of going. I have really no idea where to start. I know the kind of car I want but I don't know how to go about it.

Here's my thoughts on what I wanted in my build. The car needs to be as light as possible. I want to try and maintain as much of the comforts as I can, I just want to go about doing this in different ways. If it bolts to the car I want to make it out of carbon. I feel that even some sheet metal can be replaced with carbon fiber. I'm going to drop an ls motor in the car. I'm on the fence about which one because I've always wanted to have a supercharged car. Catch is if I'm going to do it I want a twin screw, no turbos, no centrifugal blower. The car was a clutch so I'm going to stick with that.

Other than that I really don't know where to go. I know a lot of suspension parts pull dual service between drag and auto x, I just don't have the slightest idea of what really plants these cars to the road and how to make the suspension work for what I want to do. I also need to find out where the weak points are. I'll be starting from scratch so I'm hoping to avoid doing things twice. If it's a weak point in stock trim I'll upgrade it right off the bat.

Does anyone have any pointers or can direct me to a good source of info that's really going to break it all down so I can learn and plan before I waste a pile of money?
Old 03-22-2015, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Well let's see..... To make a camaro handle you need these simple things...

1. Huge Sticky Hoosier A6's (See 315/30/18 BFG RIVAL - S for street)
2. Great Shocks
3. Coilover fronts
4. Watts link
5. Aftermarket upper control arms for near - 3 degree's camber

-As for power depending on adder or not can change your class alot.
-Carbon costs alot and will change your class alot
-Weak point is the factory rear end

All i can think of at the moment
Old 03-23-2015, 12:23 AM
10 Second Club

Where do I learn about the classes? Is there any kind of open run events?
Factory power steering and oiling systems are enough?

I'm aware of the cost of carbon. That's more of a passion project. I've been working with fiberglass for 13 years and want to try my hand at mold making and fabrication.

I'll look into a watts link. I'm not familiar with them at all.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1320Chicken
Where do I learn about the classes? Is there any kind of open run events?
Factory power steering and oiling systems are enough?

I'm aware of the cost of carbon. That's more of a passion project. I've been working with fiberglass for 13 years and want to try my hand at mold making and fabrication.

I'll look into a watts link. I'm not familiar with them at all.
http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517
Old 03-27-2015, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO the correct combination of shocks/springs/swaybars, add a watts link and some sticky tires will be MORE than enough for someone just getting into autocross. Add a race seat and harness and you are set.

I have all that I listed above and I now need to learn how to drive. The car is capable as it sits now (with exception of horrible stock differential), I just need how to USE the car correctly.

Don't fall victim of buying expensive parts and expect them to perform. Tossing everything UMI/BMR offers is not the best approach. Not bashing those companies. Chat with local autocross people and hopefully you find Fbody people.

Boss002 has been great in helping me along the way in answering my questions and from his track record, has a good handle on autocrossing in general. This season will only be my second season...but I got bit HARD and did all my mods within the first season

Quick Reply: Looking to start a new project